Calculating Frictional Force on Cork of Bottle: Pressure & Radius

• Thread starter Kickbladesama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the pressure inside a bottle of champagne is 5.4 atm higher than the air pressure outside, and the neck of the bottle has an inner radius of 0.9 cm. To find the frictional force on the cork due to the neck of the bottle, the pressure needs to be converted from atmospheres to Pascals. The correct conversion is 5.4 atm = 547 155 pascals. Using the formula pressure = force/area, the area is calculated to be 2.54 x 10^-4 m^2. Thus, the force is determined to be 139 N.
Kickbladesama

Homework Statement

The pressure inside a bottle of champagne is 5.4 atm higher than the air pressure outside. The neck of the bottle has an inner radius of 0.9 cm. What is the frictional force on the cork due to the neck of the bottle?

Homework Equations

pi x r ^(2) = area of circle
P = Mass/Area

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted 5.4 atm to SI units (18pa). I did area = pi x 0.09m^(2). I took that and multiplied that by pressure 18pa and found the mass which is 0.477N. I did Fnet = mu x Fnormal.

18 = mu x 0.477N = 37.7 which is incorrect, anyone have an idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kickbladesama said:
I first converted 5.4 atm to SI units (18pa). I did area = pi x 0.09m^(2). I took that and multiplied that by pressure 18pa and found the mass which is 0.477N. I did Fnet = mu x Fnormal.

18 = mu x 0.477N = 37.7 which is incorrect, anyone have an idea?

Hi Kickbladesama! :smile:

erm … mass is kg, not Newtons. :wink:

pressure is NOT "mass divided by area", it is FORCE divided by area. So force is pressure times area.

Since you converted the pressure from atmospheres to Pascals, You must remember that one Pascal is one Newton per square METER. And 0.9 cm is is 0.009 m, not 0.09 m. Frankly, 0.9 cm seems much too small for a champagn bottle neck but then 9 cm (which is 0.09 m) is much too large.

firstly your conversion of atm to pascals is wrong...cos 5.4 atm = 547 155 pascals

secondly p= force/area
area = 2.54X10^-4 m2

thus force = area X pressure = 139 N

1. What is frictional force and how does it affect the cork of a bottle?

Frictional force is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of the cork of a bottle, frictional force acts between the cork and the inner surface of the bottle, making it difficult to remove the cork.

2. How do you calculate frictional force on the cork of a bottle?

Frictional force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force between the cork and the bottle's surface. The normal force is equal to the weight of the cork, which can be calculated using the formula Fg = mg, where m is the mass of the cork and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the frictional force on the cork of a bottle?

The frictional force on the cork of a bottle can be affected by the coefficient of friction, the weight of the cork, and the surface area in contact between the cork and the bottle's inner surface. Additionally, the surface texture and the presence of any lubricants can also affect the frictional force.

4. How does pressure and radius affect the frictional force on the cork of a bottle?

In general, an increase in pressure or a decrease in radius can result in a higher frictional force on the cork of a bottle. This is because an increase in pressure or a decrease in radius can lead to a higher normal force between the cork and the bottle's surface, resulting in a higher frictional force.

5. How can the frictional force on the cork of a bottle be reduced?

The frictional force on the cork of a bottle can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or water, on the bottle's inner surface. Additionally, using a bottle opener or applying a twisting motion can also help reduce the frictional force and make it easier to remove the cork.