Best Universities for Superconductivity Research

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of finding the best university for superconductivity research. The speaker mentioned several universities, including the University of Maryland, BJNRenmin University, and Technical University of Munich. However, it was noted that there is no one "best university" for superconductivity research as it is a broad field with different areas of focus. The conversation then shifted to the speaker's interest in becoming a superconductor theoretician and discovering a room-temperature superconducting material that is ductile and affordable.
bjnartowt
I was wondering: I have the rankings for condensed matter physics schools, but I would like to know what school is best for superconductivity research. Is it University of Maryland?

BJN

Physics news on Phys.org
Renmin University? Maybe even Technical University of Munich?

Superconductivity is a huge field, it involves everything from fundamental condensed matter physics, bulk applications (cables, magnets), materials research (synthesising superconducting materials etc, much of which is done by inorganic chemists), device physics etc
Most universities only have groups that are active in maybe one or two of these areas so there is no "best university" for the whole field. Also, low-Tc and high-Tc are to some extent two separate fields (the former being mostly focused on device physics).

So you have to be more specific. What are you interested in?

For the first time ever i can bring my university into a discussion involving bests. Florida State University in tallahassee is closely affiliated with the National High Magnetic Field lab which is here in the same town. We/they have the high hybrid field magnet in the world. They have an applied superconductivity center.

http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/mediacenter/slideshows/hybrid/index.html

http://www.physics.fsu.edu/

Likes yeshuamo
I want to discover a superconducting material that superconducts at room temperature, is ductile, and cheap. Basically, I want to know the theory of superconductivity, such that I can look at the chemical formula of any compound and say "That'll superconduct at [blankety-blank] Kelvins". Or, at least know the first principles behind superconductivity.

That eliminates "applications", "experimental", etc. I want to know theory...and be a superconductor theoretician.

What is superconductivity and why is it important?

Superconductivity is the phenomenon where certain materials have zero electrical resistance when cooled to a critical temperature. This allows for the flow of electricity without any energy loss, making it crucial for various applications such as energy transmission, medical imaging, and quantum computing.

What criteria are used to determine the best universities for superconductivity research?

The criteria used to determine the best universities for superconductivity research include the number of publications, citations, and collaborations in the field, as well as the amount of funding and resources dedicated to research, and the impact and relevance of their findings.

What are some of the top universities for superconductivity research?

Some of the top universities for superconductivity research include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of Cambridge, University of Tokyo, ETH Zurich, and University of California, Berkeley.

What advancements have been made in superconductivity research in recent years?

In recent years, there have been advancements in the development of high-temperature superconductors, which can operate at temperatures closer to room temperature, as well as the discovery of new materials with superconducting properties. There have also been advancements in understanding the fundamental physics behind superconductivity and potential applications in quantum technologies.

Are there any challenges facing superconductivity research and how are universities addressing them?

Some challenges facing superconductivity research include finding materials that can operate at higher temperatures and improving the scalability and cost-effectiveness of superconducting technologies. Universities are addressing these challenges through collaborations and interdisciplinary research, as well as investing in new facilities and equipment for experimentation and testing.