Calculus with Dirac notation

In summary, the forum user is working on a problem related to the conservation of probability in a continuity equation and is using the Time-Dependent Schrodinger Equation to solve it. However, there is a contradiction when trying to rearrange the equation in terms of its components. By correcting a mistake in the rearrangement, the contradiction can be resolved.
tpg
I am working through a problem relating to the conservation of probability in a continuity equation. However, I end up with a contradiction when trying to put the following into the Time-Dependent Schrodinger Equation

[tex]\frac{\partial\psi(x)}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}[/tex]

where

[tex]\left|\psi\right\rangle =\intop_{-\infty}^{\infty}dx\,\psi(x)\left|x\right\rangle[/tex]

If I use the first form, together with

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi(x)}{\partial t} = H\psi(x)[/tex]
and [tex]-i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi^{*}(x)}{\partial t} = H\psi^{*}(x)[/tex]

I get a sensible nonzero answer, which I believe to be correct.

However, if I start with the second form, I rearrange as follows (I'm pretty sure this step is correct)

[tex]\frac{\partial\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}=\frac{\partial\left\langle x\right|}{\partial t}\left|\psi\right\rangle +\left\langle x\right|\frac{\partial\left|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}[/tex]

Then if I use the following form of the TDSE:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial\left|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t} = H\left|\psi\right\rangle[/tex]

Which I believe results in

[tex]\frac{\partial\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}=\frac{i}{\hbar}\left(\left\langle x\right|H\left|\psi\right\rangle -\left\langle x\right|H\left|\psi\right\rangle \right)=0[/tex]

This doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone please explain where I've gone wrong? Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made a small mistake in your rearrangement of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation. The correct form should be:

\frac{\partial\left\langle x|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t}=\left\langle x\right|\frac{\partial\left|\psi\right\rangle }{\partial t} + \frac{\partial\left\langle x\right|}{\partial t}\left|\psi\right\rangle

Notice that the order of the terms on the right-hand side has been switched. This is because the derivative is being taken with respect to time, not position. This should fix the contradiction you are seeing.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

[Your Institution]

What is Dirac notation in calculus?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is commonly used in the study of calculus and linear algebra.

How is Dirac notation used in calculus?

In calculus, Dirac notation is used to represent vectors and operators in a concise and elegant way. It allows for the manipulation of complex mathematical expressions and simplifies calculations involving vectors and operators.

What are the advantages of using Dirac notation in calculus?

One of the main advantages of using Dirac notation in calculus is its compactness and simplicity. It allows for the representation of complex mathematical concepts in a concise and easy-to-understand manner, making it a useful tool for solving problems in quantum mechanics and other fields of mathematics.

How does Dirac notation relate to vector calculus?

Dirac notation is closely related to vector calculus as it allows for the representation and manipulation of vectors and operators in a similar way to traditional vector notation. It simplifies vector calculus by providing a more concise and elegant way of expressing mathematical concepts.

Can Dirac notation be used in other areas of science?

Yes, Dirac notation is not limited to just calculus and can be applied in various areas of science, such as quantum mechanics, linear algebra, and signal processing. It is a powerful tool for representing and manipulating complex mathematical concepts and can be used in a wide range of scientific fields.