Electromagnetic wave reflection

In summary, the problem involves a speeder moving away from a police car and a radar gun emitting a wave with a frequency of 8.0x109 Hz. The wave reflects off the speeder's car and returns to the police car with a frequency of 318Hz less than the emitted frequency. The speed of the speeder with respect to the ground can be found using the Doppler effect equation, but it must be used twice - once for the emitted wave and once for the return wave. The final answer will depend on the actual value of the given frequency.
adashiu

Homework Statement

A speeder is pulling directly away and increasing his distance from a police car that is moving at 29 m/s with respect to the ground. The radar gun in the police car emits an electromagnetic wave with a frequency of 8.0x109 Hz. The wave reflects from the speeder\'s car and returns to the police car where its frequency is measured to be 318Hz less than the emitted frequency. Find the speeder's speed with respect to the ground.

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I use here Doppler's Effect?

u - speed of light
Vs - speed of speedster
Vo - speed of observator(police car)

f'=fo*[tex]\frac{u+Vs}{u-Vo}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to use the doppler equation twice, once for the emitted sound wave and again for the return sound wave. If you want me to solve it and show you how you will just need to clarify when you say "8.0x109 Hz" do you really mean 8.0x109 Hz or do you mean 8.0x10^9 (8 times 10 to the exponent of 9).

8*109 meaning 872... Thank you for help. Generally i have no idea how to use Doppler's equation twice in this case...

badreligion said:
... If you want me to solve it and show you how ...

Please note that doing that is against Physics Forums policy:

"On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made."​

For more details, click on "Rules" at the top of this page, then scroll down to the "Homework Help" section.

Hopefully, your good hint of applying the Doppler shift twice will get the OP on the right track.

Regards,

Mark

Anyway, I had some attempts, probably not correct. I need it for tommorow. Its 1 AM here, so in like about 8 hours I will be kicked out by a professor from room, because I don't have this done :yuck:

Here is the formula I use, it is the same thing as yours just simplified.

f'=(1+Vobs/Vsnd)f

First Doppler Shift

f'=(1+29m/s / 343m/s)*872Hz

Second Doppler Shift

f''=f'/(1+Vsource/Vsnd)

872Hz-318Hz=f'(1-n/343m/s)

554Hz=f'(1-n/343m/s)

554Hz/f'=1-n/343m/s)

(554Hz/f')-1=n/343m/s

Cross Multiply

((554Hz/f')-1)*343m/s=n

There you go hopefully you can understand that. 343m/s is the speed of air at a normal temperature. n is what you solve for and f' you find in the first doppler shift. I think I worked everything out right, good luck.

adashiu said:
8*109 meaning 872...
No, I don't think you mean that. (872 Hz is not a radio frequency. 8.0 x 109 Hz IS a radio frequency.)

Thank you for help. Generally i have no idea how to use Doppler's equation twice in this case...

You can start out using it once, and get an expression relating the following:
  • the frequency of the wave "received" by the speeding car, and
  • the speed of the car relative to the police

Redbelly98 said:
No, I don't think you mean that. (872 Hz is not a radio frequency. 8.0 x 109 Hz IS a radio frequency.)

I had the same feeling not only does the frequency make more since, but so does the answer when it is 8.0 x 109 Hz

I will ask my teacher, what actually this value is, but now I have a pattern how to solve it
thanks ;]

1. What is electromagnetic wave reflection?

Electromagnetic wave reflection is the phenomenon of an electromagnetic wave bouncing off a surface or material instead of passing through it.

2. How does electromagnetic wave reflection occur?

Electromagnetic wave reflection occurs when an incident wave, such as light or radio waves, hits a surface and is bounced back in the opposite direction. This happens due to a change in the medium's properties, such as density or refractive index.

3. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection is when an incident wave bounces off a smooth surface at the same angle it hit, resulting in a clear and well-defined reflection. Diffuse reflection is when an incident wave hits a rough surface and is scattered in various directions, resulting in a less intense and less defined reflection.

4. What factors affect the amount of reflection of an electromagnetic wave?

The amount of reflection of an electromagnetic wave is affected by the angle of incidence, the nature of the surface or material, and the wavelength of the incident wave. The higher the angle of incidence, the greater the amount of reflection. Smooth and shiny surfaces tend to reflect more than rough and dull surfaces. The wavelength of the incident wave also plays a role, as longer wavelengths tend to reflect more than shorter wavelengths.

5. How is electromagnetic wave reflection used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic wave reflection is used in various technologies, such as mirrors, reflective surfaces in solar panels, and antennas. It is also used in radar and sonar systems for detecting and locating objects. In everyday life, we experience reflection when looking in a mirror or seeing our reflection on a shiny surface.