Diffraction and Interference

In summary, an aircraft creates a layer of charged particles in the atmosphere, causing radio waves to be reflected without phase. At a location 12 km from the transmitter, radio waves of frequency 8.00 x 10^2 kHz are received. To determine the minimum height of the layer of particles, we need to use the equation lambda = v/f. With a calculated wavelength of 375 m, we can then use the equation x/L=lambda/d to solve for x (the minimum height). However, the answer should be between 1 and 2, so further assistance may be needed to overcome this roadblock.
patriots1049

Homework Statement

An aircraft causes a horizontal layer of charged particles to be formed in the atmosphere. Radio waves are relected without phase from this layer. Radio waves of frequency 8.00 x 10^2 kHz are received at a location 12 km from the transmitter. What is the minimum height of the layer of particles if radio reception fades due to destructive interference between the direct beam and the reflected beam?

Homework Equations

lamba = v/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found a wavelength of 375 m. Now I'm not sure what to do from here. The answer is supposed to be between 1 and 2. Can someone help me get past this road block?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
patriots1049 said:

Homework Statement

An aircraft causes a horizontal layer of charged particles to be formed in the atmosphere. Radio waves are relected without phase from this layer. Radio waves of frequency 8.00 x 10^2 kHz are recerved at a location 12 km from the transmitter. What is the minimum height of the layer of particles if radio reception fades due to destructive interference between the direct beam and the reflected beam?

Homework Equations

lamba = v/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found a wavelength of 375 m. Now I'm not sure what to do from here. The answer is supposed to be between 1 and 2. Can someone help me get past this road block?

Ah yes, quite a familiar problem. The workings should not be too hard. I believe that the equation is x/L=lambda/d, if I'm not mistaken, unless that is a predefined equation designated by your instructor specifically for this problem...

Can someone assist me in solving this problem?

I wish I could.

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending and spreading of waves around obstacles or through narrow openings.

2. What is the difference between diffraction and interference?

Diffraction is the bending of waves while interference is the interaction of waves resulting in either constructive or destructive interference.

3. How is diffraction and interference related to light?

Light exhibits both diffraction and interference, as it behaves as a wave. This is evident in phenomena such as the double-slit experiment.

4. What is the significance of diffraction and interference in science and technology?

Diffraction and interference are important concepts in many fields, such as optics, acoustics, and radio waves. They are used in various technologies, including microscopes, telescopes, and speakers.

5. How can we observe diffraction and interference in everyday life?

Diffraction and interference can be observed in everyday life through phenomena such as the colors in soap bubbles, the rainbow effect of a CD, and the patterns produced by diffraction gratings on banknotes.