Best model to explain expansion of universe is needed

In summary: But that's not what H is. It's just a measure of the rate at which galaxies are moving away from each other. It doesn't measure how fast the universe is expanding. That's what the Hubble Constant is.)In summary, the Hubble constant, or the rate at which galaxies are moving away from each other, is 74kps/megaparsec. To better understand the expansion of universe, I probably need to see a well designed animation. Neither in stretching rubber nor inflating baloon models I don't understand how does Hubble constant of 74kps fit on them. Actually to apply Hubble constant i can only imagine one model and that is either overlapping or free falling, but
eha
to better understand the expansion of universe, i probably need to see a well designed animation. neither in stretching rubber nor inflating baloon models i don't understand how does Hubble constant of 74kps fit on them. actually to apply Hubble constant i can only imagine one model and that is either overlapping or free falling, but then i can't see any expansion at all. so, i have to think more to imagine how our universe is expanding with speed rate of 74kps/per megaparsec. animations would be helpful.

Space news on Phys.org
eha said:
... i have to think more to imagine how our universe is expanding with speed rate of 74kps/per megaparsec...

Eha, would you try something, please. Just now I was trying to get google calculator to show me the Hubble rate in different units of measure and it didn't work. Google was "cranky" this morning.

To use the calculator you just put what you want evalutated in the ordinary google window and press return and it should give you the calculation (in bold letters at the top of the search page).

Like if you put in "2*2" it should come back with "2*2 = 4"

See if you can get a result putting in this:

"megaparsec/(74 km/s)"

Type it in the usual google window, without quotes, and press return. I just tried this and it would not give answer, so I am not sure what is wrong. I also tried

"megaParsec/(74 km/s)" and

"1 megaparsec/(74 km/s)"

What I want it to do is give me the reciprocal of the H rate, that is, 1/H. I know it should come out 13.2 billion years. Do you get this?

Anyway when you do this calculation it puts H in different units for you which some people find easier to understand. It says that the largescale distances governed by the law will each expand by a tiny fraction of their length each year.

The tiny fraction is 1/(13.2 billion). Each distance will expand by that small fraction of itself each year.

Percentagewise that means each distance expands 1/132 of one percent in a million years.

Not all distances are governed by this rule. Distances between things in orbit around each other are governed by orbit laws. The diameter of the Milky Way is determined by its dynamics. Those are not the distances that grow. The distances which follow the Hubble rule are very large distances between objects which are at rest with respect to the microwave Background. (The light left over from the ancient cloud of matter in the early universe serves as a landmark so we can be at rest with respect to the original matter before it started falling into clumps and developing random motions.)

Distances between widely separated points both of which are at rest
increase 1/132 percent per million years.

Now you are asking how do I match up the balloon model with the rate of 1/132 percent per million years.

The answer is you make sure the balloon is very big and that it expands by 1/132 percent every million years!

But that is too slow to imagine, so think of yourself as a god for whom a million years is like a second. Now you look at your ballooniverse and it expands by 1/132 percent every second.

Well even that is still a bit too slow to imagine, so imagine you are an even better god, for whom 100 million years is only like a second for us. Then the balloon will increase by 1/132 each second.

Concentrate on believing that all existence is concentrated on the balloon surface---there is no inside space inside the balloon and no outside surrounding space, only the surface. A 2D surface where no extra dimensions exist. And creatures living there are 2D creatures. And the 2D surface is getting bigger by 1/132 per second.

Points that stay at the same latitude longitude on the surface are the ones which are at rest relative to background. They are not moving. But they are getting farther apart.

Marcus I get the correct answer.

1.3213702 x 10^10

so you are saying that universe is only rubber tissue part of the baloon,or surface of the baloon. okay , let me imagine then, what part of this surface is our observable universe?and how does 74kps/megaparsec speed rate work on this model? what part of the surfaces move respectively with the speed of c,2c,3c,4c,5c and 6c ?

Sorry! said:
Marcus I get the correct answer.

1.3213702 x 10^10

Good! thank you. I depend on google calculator as a ready convenience, and it worries me when it seems stuck, and won't work.

So it told you years. It said 13.2 billion years.BTW you should know that H is gradually decreasing, now around estimated 74 but in time it will sink down to what, something like sqrt (.75) * 74.

(Naive people think when they hear "acceleration" that H must be increasing :biggrin: but that is wrong, very much so! It is the scale factor itself, not H.)

So let's see what this comes to. And let us see what the 13.2 billion year figure will increase to. Naturally as H decreases the reciprocal 1/H must increase!

Again Google can help. why don't you do the calculation?

I get that the asymptotic value for the time, when H levels out as low as it is going to get (in a billion years or so), will be
around 15 billion years.

So that means that the percentage increase rate, far in the future, will not be 1/132 percent per million years. It will be more like 1/152 percent every million years. Is that what you get. Ask if it is not clear how to do the calculation. Bravo, by the way.

Last edited:
eha said:
so you are saying that universe is only rubber tissue part of the baloon,or surface of the baloon. okay , let me imagine then, what part of this surface is our observable universe?and how does 74kps/megaparsec speed rate work on this model? what part of the surfaces move respectively with the speed of c,2c,3c,4c,5c and 6c ?

At present we do not know the full extent. So we cannot answer the question in a satisfactory way. We do not know what fraction of the total is represented by our observable.

According to the standard cosmo model, the observable extends out in all directions from us to a distance (called "particle horizon" distance) of about 46 billion LY.

However we know from the most recent WMAP report (Komatsu et al) that the whole universe extends out at least 300 billion LY! With 95% confidence, say Komatsu et al. And could even be infinite! Is much larger than observable and we don't know how much larger.

Question 1: What is the current leading model for explaining the expansion of the universe?

The current leading model for explaining the expansion of the universe is the Big Bang Theory. This theory suggests that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and has been expanding ever since.

Question 2: Why do we need a new model to explain the expansion of the universe?

While the Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the expansion of the universe, it still has some limitations and unanswered questions. Therefore, scientists are constantly working to develop new models that can better explain and predict observations of the universe.

Question 3: What are the main limitations of the Big Bang Theory?

One major limitation of the Big Bang Theory is that it does not explain what triggered the initial expansion of the universe. Additionally, it does not account for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe, which has led to the development of theories like inflation and dark energy.

Question 4: What are some alternative models proposed to explain the expansion of the universe?

Some alternative models to explain the expansion of the universe include the Steady State Theory, which suggests that the universe has always existed in a constant state of expansion, and the Oscillating Universe Theory, which proposes that the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction.

Question 5: How do scientists determine which model is the best to explain the expansion of the universe?

Scientists use a combination of observations, theoretical calculations, and experiments to test different models and determine which one best fits the available evidence. The most successful and widely accepted model is the one that can explain the most observations and make accurate predictions about the behavior of the universe.