Would anything survive our sun's eventual nova?

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
In summary: Can't remember the source off the top of my head but I remember reading somewhere that it would not be outlandish to expect the probes to last for that amount of time in interstellar space. If you...That is a really interesting article you linked to! I hadn't considered that as an option. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
flatmaster
We know our sun will eventually become a read giant, and go nova. Is anything expected to survive?

The expected size for a red giant encloses our orbit unless I'm mistaken, so that's it for earth. Is there any chance for the massive Jupiter or any ort cloud objects?

I assume any solar-system like objects without their parent suns around would be unobservable whereas they don't give off any EMR at all.

Here's another thought. Should it be that it all goes to waste and we've done nothing other than the pioneer and voyager plates, are they going fast enough to survive the nova?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, our Sun will not go nova--it's not nearly massive enough. After it bloats up into a red giant (entirely consuming the inner planets up to the orbit of Mars in the process) it will slowly fade away into a white dwarf. The outer planets should remain largely intact in their orbits, although their composition may suffer.

flatmaster said:
We know our sun will eventually become a read giant,

I assume you mean "red", but yes.

flatmaster said:
and go nova.

...and no.

Interesting that you know this, because the sun is not going to go nova. The red giant thing is a concern, though (if you want to call it that). I don't think there's conclusive evidence whether or not the Earth will be enveloped, it's really difficult to predict with that measure of accuracy.

As far as the voyager and pioneer space probes, they're traveling at approximately v=15km/s. Since the sun is expected to stay on the MS for at least the next 4 billion (to be conservative) years, the probes would be an estimated 200,000 ly distant by that time, barring any encounters with other bodies. This distance is roughly twice the galactic diameter. (This assumes the spacecraft is traveling on a straight path, which it undoubtedly is not. But you get the idea. They'll be long gone.)

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Nabeshin said:
Interesting that you know this, because the sun is not going to go nova. The red giant thing is a concern, though (if you want to call it that). I don't think there's conclusive evidence whether or not the Earth will be enveloped, it's really difficult to predict with that measure of accuracy.

As far as the voyager and pioneer space probes, they're traveling at approximately v=15km/s. Since the sun is expected to stay on the MS for at least the next 4 billion (to be conservative) years, the probes would be an estimated 200,000 ly distant by that time, barring any encounters with other bodies. This distance is roughly twice the galactic diameter. (This assumes the spacecraft is traveling on a straight path, which it undoubtedly is not. But you get the idea. They'll be long gone.)

Actually they won't escape the Galaxy and if pointed in the right direction, they might eventually re-encounter the Sun. With a relative velocity between them and the Sun of just 15 km/s that means they do a lap around the Galaxy once every ~ 3 billion years before returning to the vicinity of the Sun. In two laps time they'll return as the Sun starts climbing the ascent to Red Giant, which really doesn't take off until c.7.5 billion years from now, but begins about 6 billion years from now.

qraal said:
Actually they won't escape the Galaxy and if pointed in the right direction, they might eventually re-encounter the Sun. With a relative velocity between them and the Sun of just 15 km/s that means they do a lap around the Galaxy once every ~ 3 billion years before returning to the vicinity of the Sun. In two laps time they'll return as the Sun starts climbing the ascent to Red Giant, which really doesn't take off until c.7.5 billion years from now, but begins about 6 billion years from now.

This brings up an interesting question: could we design a probe (today) that would eventually return to Earth's orbit after making a "lap" around the galaxy?

Would make for an interesting time capsule!

Probably not if for no other reason than nothing we can currently construct could survive the beating of hundreds of millions of years in deep space. It might make it back but it would be a pile of crumpled metal Swiss cheese.

negitron said:
Probably not if for no other reason than nothing we can currently construct could survive the beating of hundreds of millions of years in deep space. It might make it back but it would be a pile of crumpled metal Swiss cheese.

Can't remember the source off the top of my head but I remember reading somewhere that it would not be outlandish to expect the probes to last for that amount of time in interstellar space. If you run into gas clouds or through solar systems, then it becomes a bit more of a problem.

Nabeshin said:
Can't remember the source off the top of my head but I remember reading somewhere that it would not be outlandish to expect the probes to last for that amount of time in interstellar space. If you run into gas clouds or through solar systems, then it becomes a bit more of a problem.

I just finished reading "The 5 Ages of the Universe" by Fred Adams and Greg Laughlin, and there was a bit in the beginning describing the vast emptiness of the universe -- that if you were to travel in a straight line in space the odds of you hitting something are 1 in a billion trillion.

So probably the main issue would be, as the probe orbits around the galaxy, to have enough fuel to adjust it's course to eventually return to Earth.

ShakyJake said:
I just finished reading "The 5 Ages of the Universe" by Fred Adams and Greg Laughlin, and there was a bit in the beginning describing the vast emptiness of the universe -- that if you were to travel in a straight line in space the odds of you hitting something are 1 in a billion trillion.

So probably the main issue would be, as the probe orbits around the galaxy, to have enough fuel to adjust it's course to eventually return to Earth.

I always thought 'empty' space wasn't actually 'empty' at all. I assume the authors meant 'substantial object' which you could actually 'hit' and not have just attempt to shoot through you without you noticing.

Interstellar dust impacting a probe at 15 km/s would probably abrade it over the aeons, but I don't have any figures for just how much can be expected. But we can get a rough idea. At 15 km/s one travels through a path some 50,000 light years long every billion years. A dust speck ~1012 daltons in mass will probably collide with a square metre of frontal area every 1,000 kilometres, and there's about a million protons per cubic metre. Thus a volume containing ~ 1.58 kg of material is traversed every billion years. That means some small multiple of that will be knocked off the probe's frontal cross-section by abrasion.

Last edited:

1. Will anything survive our sun's eventual nova?

It is highly unlikely that anything will survive the sun's eventual nova. The intense heat and radiation from the nova will likely destroy all forms of life on Earth.

2. Could any organisms adapt to survive the nova?

It is possible that some extremophile organisms may be able to adapt to survive the nova. These organisms have the ability to withstand extreme temperatures and radiation, but it is still uncertain if they could survive the intense conditions of a nova.

3. What about life on other planets or moons in our solar system?

The chances of life surviving a nova on other planets or moons in our solar system are slim. The intense radiation and heat from the nova would likely destroy any life forms present.

4. Is there a chance that humans could colonize other planets before the sun's nova?

While it is technically possible for humans to colonize other planets before the sun's nova, it is highly unlikely. The technology and resources required for interstellar travel and colonization are currently beyond our capabilities.

5. How long until the sun's nova occurs?

The sun's nova is estimated to occur in about 5 billion years. This may seem like a long time, but in the grand scheme of the universe, it is actually relatively soon. It is important for us to focus on taking care of our planet and seeking out ways to potentially survive the nova or find a new home for our species.