How to find the position of a star in the sky

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for determining the position of a star at a given time and for a specific location on Earth. The parameters needed for this formula are the star's right ascension and declination, the longitude and latitude of the location, and the date and hour. The result would be the star's right ascension and declination for the given location and time. The conversation also mentions the book "Practical astronomy with your calculator" as a good reference for this topic. The conversation concludes with the individual expressing their interest in deriving the formula for a small program they are working on.
Imaginedvl
Hello,

Sorry if this is not the right place but I'm trying to find this for days now...

I'm trying to find a working formula to determine the position (r.asc/decl) of a star at any given time and for a specific location on earth.

So the parameter would be:

R. Asc. of the star
Decl. of the star
Long. on earth
Lat. on earth
Date
Hour

And the result would be

R. Asc. of the star
Decl. of the star

(EDIT: I forgot the Long/Lat parameters ;-))
Thanks!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The RA and DEC of a star are fixed (except for small real motions) and don't depend on your position on Earth or the date/time.
The set of stars visible overhead do depend on the date/time and position.

A good place to start is probably "Practical astronomy with your calculator"

mgb_phys said:
The RA and DEC of a star are fixed (except for small real motions) and don't depend on your position on Earth or the date/time.
The set of stars visible overhead do depend on the date/time and position.

A good place to start is probably "Practical astronomy with your calculator"

Hi mgb,

Yes I used the wrong term for the result. It is actually the position of the star overhead for a specific location/date time that I want to know. Not sure in what this should be expressed.

"Practical astronomy with your calculator", thanks for the reference. Actually I had a book like this and lost it few years ago. I guess it would be a good idea to buy a new one and this one sounds to be a very good start.

Imagine a line starting from the center of the Earth and passing out through your head. When you look straight up, you're looking along that line. Due to the definition of declination, the declination of the star there is simply your latitude. The star's right ascension depends on where the vernal equinox is--and sidereal time tells you that, with 0:00 corresponding to it being at the prime meridian. Right ascension is the difference between your longitude and the sidereal time, converted to degrees. If your longitude is 70 degrees West, for example, and the sidereal time is 5:00 (75 degrees), that would mean the vernal equinox is 5 degrees to the west of the star. Right ascension would be 5 degrees.

Depending on the level of accuracy you want, you may have to account for precession. Since the Earth's axis is wobbling due to the torque of the Sun and Moon, the right ascension and declination of any star changes with time. Most star catalogues give coordinates valid for J2000.0: noon on January 1, 2000, so to get extremely accurate coordinates, you'd have to precess your calculated RA and Dec. to that epoch.

Are you interested in finding the formula, or deriving it? It would be a good exercise.

When you look straight up, you're looking along that line. Due to the definition of declination, the declination of the star there is simply your latitude.

I never realized it even it is so obvious now that I'm reading it...

flatmaster said:
Are you interested in finding the formula, or deriving it? It would be a good exercise.

I'm trying to write a small program to draw the sky for specific location/position, so I'm actually I'm trying to find the formula :) And yes it is a good exercise.
I think I got enough information so far in the thread to be able to do it.

Imaginedvl said:
I never realized it even it is so obvious now that I'm reading it...

I'm trying to write a small program to draw the sky for specific location/position, so I'm actually I'm trying to find the formula :) And yes it is a good exercise.
I think I got enough information so far in the thread to be able to do it.

I've actually written such a program before, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Well, if you want to derive it, how far do you want to take it? precession of earth? eliptical Earth orbit?

1. How do I determine the position of a star in the sky?

To find the position of a star in the sky, you will need to use a star chart or a planetarium software. These tools will show you the exact location of the star in relation to other stars and constellations in the night sky.

2. What information do I need to find the position of a star?

To accurately determine the position of a star, you will need to know the date, time, and your location on Earth. This information will help you align the star chart or planetarium software with the real night sky.

3. Can I find the position of a star without any tools?

Yes, it is possible to find the position of a star without any tools by using the method of star hopping. This involves using known stars and constellations to navigate to the desired star.

4. How does the position of a star change throughout the night?

The position of a star will appear to change throughout the night due to the Earth's rotation. This movement causes the stars to appear to move across the sky, but their actual position in the universe remains the same.

5. Is the position of a star the same from all locations on Earth?

No, the position of a star will appear different depending on your location on Earth. This is due to the Earth's tilt and rotation, which causes the stars to appear to move in different patterns from different locations.