Finding when a projectile has a certain angle with the horizontal

In summary, the problem involves finding the time required for a projectile fired from the origin with an initial velocity v_0 at an angle \alpha with the horizontal to cross a line passing through the origin at an angle \beta < \alpha with the horizontal. By considering the x and y components separately and using the equations of motion, the time is found to be \frac{2v_0sin(\alpha-\beta)}{gcos\beta}. This can be simplified by choosing a different coordinate system.
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

If a projectile is fired from the origin of the coordinate system with an initial velocity [tex] v_0 [/tex] and in a direction making an angle [tex] \alpha [/tex] with the horizontal, calculate the time required for the projectile to cross a line passing through the origin and making an angle [tex] \beta < \alpha [/tex] with the horizontal.

Homework Equations

[tex] \mathbf{F} = m \mathbf{\ddot{r}} [/tex]

[tex] tan(\theta) = \frac{y}{x} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, here I go. First, I treated the x-direction and y-direction separately.

x-direction
I know that there is no acceleration in the x-direction so,

[tex] \ddot{x} = 0 [/tex]

Assuming that [tex] x = y = 0 [/tex] at [tex] t = 0 [/tex] because the projectile is fired from the origin, we get (by integrating)
[tex] \dot{x} = v_{0} cos(\alpha) [/tex]

[tex] x = v_{0} t cos(\alpha) [/tex]

y-direction
We only have one acceleration in the y-direction (gravity).

[tex] \ddot{y} = -g [/tex]

By integrating , we get:

[tex] \dot{y} = -gt + v_{0} sin(\alpha) [/tex]

[tex] y = \frac{-gt^2}{2} + v_{0} t sin(\alpha) [/tex]

Now is where my confusion starts. I suppose I need to solve something of the form [tex] arctan(\frac{y}{x}) < \alpha [/tex] for [tex] t [/tex].

When substituting for [tex] y [/tex] and [tex] x [/tex] and doing some algebra, I get:

[tex] arctan(\frac{2v_{0}sin(\alpha) - gt}{2v_{0}cos(\alpha)}) < \alpha [/tex]

Is there any way to solve this for [tex] t [/tex]? Or, is there another way of working this problem that I am not seeing?

It's been quite a long time since I've worked with mechanics, and this is my first upper-level mechanics course, so I don't really know what I'm dealing with here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not checked your algebra, but if

[tex]
arctan(\frac{2v_{0}sin(\alpha) - gt}{2v_{0}cos(\alpha)}) < \alpha
[/tex]

is it not true that

[tex]
(\frac{2v_{0}sin(\alpha) - gt}{2v_{0}cos(\alpha)}) < tan\alpha ?
[/tex]

Can you now solve for the time?

Wow, It's amazing how a senior math major can overlook simple things when he's afraid.

So, that gives [tex] t > 0 [/tex]? I guess that makes sense actually. I kinda sketched the graphs of a bunch of projectile motions, and as long as they're concave down (which should always be the case assuming gravity) then the largest angle with respect to the horizontal is infact [tex] \alpha [/tex] at [tex] t = 0 [/tex], and any angle when [tex] t > 0 [/tex] is less than [tex] \alpha [/tex]. Does this sound like a good answer?

"When [tex] t > 0 [/tex]."

It's probably much easier if you take your [tex]+x[/tex] axis along the line through the origin inclined to the horizontal at the given angle [tex]\beta[/tex] and the [tex]+y[/tex] axis perpendicular to it, like in the figure.

Then, we have the acceleration components:
[tex]a_x=-g\sin\beta,\quad a_y=-g\cos\beta[/tex]
and the initial velocity components:
[tex]v_{0x}=v_0\cos(\alpha-\beta),\quad v_{0y}=v_0\sin(\alpha-\beta)[/tex]
We require the time interval between the points where it crosses the x-axis. Obviously, it will be the same time during which the y coordinate returns to zero. Now the y coordinate of the particle
[tex]y=v_{0y}t+\dfrac{1}{2}a_yt^2[/tex]
So [tex]y=0[/tex] imply
[tex]v_{0y}t+\dfrac{1}{2}a_yt^2=0[/tex]
the roots of which are
[tex]t_1=0,\quad t_2=-\dfrac{2v_{0y}}{a_y}=-\dfrac{2v_0\sin(\alpha-\beta)}{-g\cos\beta}=\dfrac{2v_0\sin(\alpha-\beta)}{g\cos\beta}[/tex]
The required time is same as t2.
Hence, the answer: [tex]\boxed{\dfrac{2v_0\sin(\alpha-\beta)}{g\cos\beta}}[/tex]

Attachments

• pf.GIF
    pf.GIF
    4.3 KB · Views: 829
Last edited:
It's interesting how simple a problem becomes when you just change the coordinate system.

Thanks a lot!

1. How do you calculate the angle of a projectile with the horizontal?

The angle of a projectile with the horizontal can be calculated using the formula: θ = tan-1(vy/vx), where θ is the angle, vy is the vertical velocity, and vx is the horizontal velocity.

2. What is the significance of finding the angle of a projectile with the horizontal?

Finding the angle of a projectile with the horizontal is important in determining the trajectory of the projectile. It helps to predict where the projectile will land and can be used to adjust the launch angle for optimal distance or accuracy.

3. What factors affect the angle of a projectile with the horizontal?

The angle of a projectile with the horizontal can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The angle may also change as the projectile travels due to external forces.

4. Can the angle of a projectile with the horizontal be negative?

Yes, the angle of a projectile with the horizontal can be negative. A negative angle indicates that the projectile is traveling in the opposite direction of the positive angle. For example, a projectile with an angle of -30 degrees is traveling in the opposite direction of a projectile with an angle of 30 degrees.

5. How does the angle of a projectile with the horizontal affect its range?

The angle of a projectile with the horizontal directly affects its range. A lower angle will result in a shorter range, while a higher angle will result in a longer range. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it balances the vertical and horizontal components of the projectile's motion.