Finding normal boiling point given pressure and enthelpy.

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the heat of vaporization and normal boiling point of ammonia given a set of data for temperature and pressure. The formula ln(p2/p1)=-deltaH/R(1/t2-1/t1) is used to calculate deltaH, and the normal boiling point is defined as when the vapor pressure equals the external pressure. It is clarified that the normal boiling point is at STP, and the equation is used to find the normal boiling point at 760 torr, yielding a value of approximately 239K.
webz

Homework Statement

Given the following data, determine the heat of vaporization and normal boiling point of ammonia
Temp (K):

Pressure (respectively)(torr):

Homework Equations

ln(p2/p1)=-deltaH/R(1/t2-1/t1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated using the first two sets of data that deltaH should be 25.179kJ/mol. The books answer within 1kJ/mol, so I'm assuming that they just used different data to come up with it. Anyways, I'm having a problem on the second part of the question where it asks to come up with a normal boiling point. The normal boiling point is when the vapor pressure equals the external pressure, right? But I have no variable in this equation that will give me the normal boiling point. Do I use this equation for both portions to the question? I'm confused. I should be able to solve the problem, just need a little boost please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a function that correlates vapor pressure with temperature, yes?

What is the pressure at the normal boiling point?

So if the normal boiling point is where the vapor pressure equals the external pressure, I can just set p2/p1 to 1.

So I have ln1=-25.179/8.314(1/210-1/T) then T equals the normal boiling point? Eh, I'm confused.

webz said:
So if the normal boiling point is where the vapor pressure equals the external pressure, I can just set p2/p1 to 1.

No.

What is the difference between the definitions of "boiling point" and "normal boiling point"?

PhaseShifter said:
No.

What is the difference between the definitions of "boiling point" and "normal boiling point"?

Oh I get it now! The normal point is at STP. Ugh why didn't I see that before

ln(760/65.3)=-25719/8.314(1/x-1/200)=~239K

Thank you!

1. What is the relationship between pressure and boiling point?

The boiling point of a substance increases as the pressure increases. This is because at higher pressures, the molecules of the substance are closer together and it takes more energy to break the intermolecular bonds and transition into the gas phase.

2. How does enthalpy affect the boiling point?

Enthalpy is the measure of the amount of internal energy in a substance. As the enthalpy of a substance increases, the boiling point also increases. This is because more energy is required to overcome the intermolecular forces and transition into the gas phase.

3. Can the normal boiling point be calculated using pressure and enthalpy?

Yes, the normal boiling point can be calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation which takes into account the pressure and enthalpy of a substance. This equation is commonly used in thermodynamics to calculate the boiling point of a substance at a specific pressure.

4. How does altitude affect the boiling point of a substance?

The boiling point of a substance decreases as altitude increases. This is because at higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure is lower and it takes less energy for the substance to transition into the gas phase. For example, water boils at a lower temperature at high altitudes, making it more difficult to cook and bake.

5. Can the boiling point be used to identify a substance?

Yes, the boiling point is a physical property that is unique to each substance. By measuring the boiling point of a substance at a specific pressure, it can be identified and differentiated from other substances. This is often used in chemistry labs to determine the purity of a substance.