Help for Senior Aerospace Engineering Student - Graduate School & Job Search

In summary, the conversation is about a senior in Aerospace Engineering at the University of Illinois who is struggling to find a job or internship due to their low 2.9 GPA. They have had their resume reviewed by the career building office but have not had success with larger aerospace companies. They are considering applying to graduate school, but are unsure of the GPA requirements for top schools like Princeton and University of Maryland. The conversation also touches on the current state of the job market and the importance of maintaining a high GPA in undergraduate studies.
markt11
Hi,
I'm a senior in Aerospace Engineering at University of Illinois. I wasn't able to get an internship over the summer and am having a hard time finding a job.
I have a 2.9/4.00GPA and most companies won't even call me back for an interview. I've already had my resume reviewed by my the career building office.
I'm sure I can bring it up to above a 3 by the end of this semester but don't know what to do.

If I can't find a job, I might apply for graduate school and see if I can get accepted anywhere. Looking at http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...te-schools/top-engineering-schools/aerospace", what kind of GPA is Princeton or Univ of Maryland looking for? What other aerospace engineering graduate schools are there for students with below average GPA?

Also, how do I find smaller aerospace companies? I keep applying for jobs at larger companies (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and Northrop Grumman) because I can't find smaller companies. Illinois only has a couple of aerospace companies. I don't mind moving away from IL. I'm even willing to do an internship over the next summer. I feel stuck and don't know what else to try.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to lie, a 2.9 GPA is very low and you will have a hard time getting into a top graduate school with it.

The reason why you're not getting jobs is because the economy tanked. I've been doing some work with Cessna and the person on the phone told me they had to lay off a lot of people there. So right now is an absolutely horrible time to find a job, especially when they are going to want to hire back the people with experience they had to lay off over hiring someone that's green.

UMD requires a 3.2 minimum, but that doesn't mean you'll be competitive or get in with that GPA. I had a 3.96 back when I applied. There are ways around the low GPA if you do the professional masters and try to switch in, but then whoever picks you up as an advisor will require that you get straight A's to stay on since you are high risk to them.

I will say that if you're only getting a 2.9 as an undergrad, graduate school is going to eat you alive.

Going to grad school becuase you can't get a job is a very bad reason to go to grad school.

Last edited:
Agreed. When I was applying for co-ops, many companies typically required a 3.0 for just an interview, most preferred higher. Undergraduate study is tricky because there is a lot of distractions and temptations, but if you want a decent crack at a job or graduate school, you'll want to try and get it up to at least a 3.3.

Out of interest, how many hours outside of classes were you studying to achieve such a GPA, Cyrus? (4 is the maximum everywhere, correct?)

srvs said:
Out of interest, how many hours outside of classes were you studying to achieve such a GPA, Cyrus? (4 is the maximum everywhere, correct?)

The answer is: As many hours as you require. I.e., I am not you and you're not me. Your probably much smarter than me and can do it in half the time. It matters what's right for *you*.

What is the best way to prepare for graduate school in aerospace engineering?

The best way to prepare for graduate school in aerospace engineering is to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. It is also important to research and choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals.

What types of jobs are available for senior aerospace engineering students?

Senior aerospace engineering students can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the aerospace industry, such as aircraft design, systems engineering, propulsion, and avionics. They can also work in research and development, manufacturing, and testing.

What skills are important for a successful career in aerospace engineering?

Some important skills for a successful career in aerospace engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, teamwork and communication skills, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) and other engineering software.

How can I stand out during the job search process?

To stand out during the job search process, it is important to have a strong resume and cover letter that highlight your relevant skills, experience, and accomplishments. Networking and attending career fairs can also help you make connections and learn about job opportunities.

Are internships and co-op experiences important for career development in aerospace engineering?

Yes, internships and co-op experiences are important for career development in aerospace engineering. They provide hands-on experience and allow you to apply your knowledge in a real-world setting. They also help you develop important skills and make valuable connections in the industry.