What is the difference between emissivity and reflectivity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between reflection and emission on an atomic level, and how this applies to the macroscopic situation of a painted metal roof in sunlight. The main question is whether a material that is a good emitter would also be a good reflector, and how this relates to the thermal properties of a metal roof. The poster is looking for clarification and feedback on their assumptions.
tom421421
Hi first time posting so apologies if this is the wrong section to post this in!

I'm having a bit of trouble defining the difference between reflection and emission on the atomic level. As far as I can see both just essentially involve excitation of an electron by a photon, followed by de-excitation and re-emission of a photon at a different wavelength. The macroscopic situation I'm trying to apply it to is a painted metal roof in the sunlight. The roof is obviously going to get hot if it has poor emissivity and will be cooler if it has better reflectivity. If the two were the same then a material that was a good emitter would also be a good reflector. This is not the case with a metal, for example, as it is good reflector but gets very hot in the sunlight and must therefore be a poor emitter.

Anyway, I've obviously made a mistake in one of these assumptions so if anyone can let me know where it would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Science news on Phys.org
I'd like to bump this post because I have been struggling with the same concept. If reflection and emission could be considered the same phenomenon, then it would follow that both metal roofs are reflecting the same amount of energy, but the cooler roof is reflecting ( or emitting ) more of that energy in the visible light spectrum.

I am very unknowledgeable, all feedback appreciated

1. What is emissivity?

Emissivity is a measure of how well a material emits infrared radiation. It is often represented as a decimal between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates a perfectly reflective material and 1 indicates a perfectly emissive material.

2. What is reflectivity?

Reflectivity is a measure of how much light is reflected off a surface. It is often represented as a percentage, where 0% indicates a perfectly absorbing material and 100% indicates a perfectly reflective material.

3. What is the difference between emissivity and reflectivity?

The main difference between emissivity and reflectivity is the type of radiation they measure. Emissivity measures infrared radiation, while reflectivity measures visible light. Additionally, emissivity and reflectivity have opposite relationships with their respective radiation types - a material with high emissivity will have low reflectivity, and vice versa.

4. How do emissivity and reflectivity affect temperature?

Materials with high emissivity tend to have higher temperatures, as they are able to efficiently emit infrared radiation. On the other hand, materials with high reflectivity tend to have lower temperatures, as they are able to reflect away a significant amount of incoming light.

5. How do emissivity and reflectivity impact energy efficiency?

In general, materials with high emissivity are more energy efficient because they are able to efficiently emit heat and maintain a more consistent temperature. Reflective materials, on the other hand, may require more energy to maintain a desired temperature as they reflect away a portion of incoming heat. However, the specific impact on energy efficiency will depend on the specific application and use of these materials.