Optimizing Flight Path: Accounting for Wind Speed and Direction

In summary, the pilot is flying his plane at a speed of 48.5 km/hr northward, but forgets to factor in a light wind from the east going at 0.85 km/hr. To compensate for the wind, he must adjust his heading by 1 degree west of north. This can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as tan(angle)=v(wind)/v(plane).
TNewC
A pilot flying his plane...

Homework Statement

A pilot is flying his plane 48.5 km/hr northward. He has forgotten to factor in a light wind from the east, going 0.85 km/hr. At what angle should he head his plane to factor in the wind?

Homework Equations

I don't know :(

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I tried using some trig functions, and I got 1 degree, but I don't think that's right, and am now totally lost. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I tried some trig too and got 1 degree west of north also... do you have any model answers at all?

i think it must be 1 degree. Just try to draw the situation, you should get right triangle and then use tan(angle)=v(wind)/v(plane). But in order to neglect the wind pilot must head his plane at north east

Thanks so much guys! I checked with my teacher and it was indeed 1 degree. I just didn't think that would make any sense, so I asked you guys. Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of a pilot flying his plane?

The main purpose of a pilot flying his plane is to safely transport passengers or cargo from one location to another.

2. How does a pilot control a plane?

A pilot controls a plane by using different instruments and controls in the cockpit, such as the steering wheel, pedals, and gauges. They also use their knowledge and experience to make adjustments to the plane's speed, altitude, and direction.

3. What training is required to become a pilot?

To become a pilot, one must undergo extensive training and obtain a pilot's license from a certified flight school or organization. This includes completing ground school courses, flight training, and passing written and practical exams.

4. What happens in case of an emergency during a flight?

In case of an emergency, pilots are trained to remain calm and follow emergency procedures to ensure the safety of the passengers and crew. They may also communicate with air traffic control for assistance and make an emergency landing if necessary.

5. Can a pilot fly in all types of weather?

Pilots are trained to fly in a wide range of weather conditions, but they must also consider the safety of their passengers and the capabilities of their aircraft. In severe weather, a pilot may choose to delay or divert the flight for the safety of everyone on board.