Are Negative Multiples of Real Numbers Always Smaller?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving equations using inequalities and the use of standard notation versus nonstandard notation. The main focus is on proving that if a number is greater than another number and a negative number is multiplied to both, the result is still true. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding concepts rather than just plugging in numbers to solve problems.
MorallyObtuse
Hi,

Are these correct?

Homework Statement

a.) Given that x > y, and k < 0 for the real numbers x, yand , show that kx < ky.
b.) Show that if x, y ∈ R, and x < y , then for any real number k < 0,kx > ky

2. The attempt at a solution

a.) kx > y...1

x > y x - y is +ve...2

k < 0...3

If kx > ky then kx - ky is +ve

Putting values using lines 2 and 3

x=6, y=4, k= -2

kx > ky

-2(6) > -2(4)...OR...kx - ky = +ve...OR...[tex]-12 + 8 \not = +ve[/tex]

-12 > 8
therefore kx < ky must be true

b.) kx < ky...1

x < y, x - y is -ve

k < 0 ...3

If kx < ky then kx - ky is -ve

Putting in values using lines 2 and 3

x = 2, y = 3, k = -4

kx < ky...OR kx - ky = -ve

-4(2) < -4(3)...OR...[tex]-8-(-12) \not = -ve[/tex]

-8 < -12

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't solve problems like these by plugging in numbers. Also using baby talk notation like +ve for "positive" isn't likely to be received well.

I would suggest you start with a clear statement of what you are given and what you are to prove. For example for the first problem:

Given x > y means there is a positive number h such that x = y + h
Given k < 0 (k is negative)

Prove: kx < ky which means there is a positive m such that ky = kx + m

Work with the equations instead of the inequalities and use the fact that k is negative.

LCKurtz said:
You don't solve problems like these by plugging in numbers. Also using baby talk notation like +ve for "positive" isn't likely to be received well.

I would suggest you start with a clear statement of what you are given and what you are to prove. For example for the first problem:

Given x > y means there is a positive number h such that x = y + h
Given k < 0 (k is negative)

Prove: kx < ky which means there is a positive m such that ky = kx + m

Work with the equations instead of the inequalities and use the fact that k is negative.

a.) Since x > y, so x - y is positive and k is negative.
Product of a negative and positive number is negative, kx - ky
Hence it follows that kx < ky.

b.) Since x < y, so x - y is negative and k is negative.
Product of two negative numbers is equal to a positive number.
Hence it follows that kx > ky.

the basic problem here is that we don't know what you have to work with. What properties of the real numbers do you know that you can use? I suspect you are using the fact that the real numbers are an ordered field: that there is a ">" relation defined such that
1) If x> y then x+z> y+z.
2) If x> y and z> 0 then zx> zy.
3) For any two real numbers, x and , one and only one of these is true:
a) x> 0
b)-x> 0
c) x= 0.
and now you want to prove that if x> y and k< 0, then kx< ky.

Of course, "a< b" means "b> a". "k< 0" means "0> k" and so, by (2), adding -k, -k> 0. Then from (1), -kx> -ky. Adding ky to both sides, (2) gives ky-kx> 0 and adding -kx to both sides ky> kx which means kx< ky.

I honestly don't see any difference between your problems (a) and (b) except that the names of "x" and "y" have been swapped. You might want to simply prove that "if a> b and k< 0 then ka< kb" first. Then prove (a) by letting x= a, y= b, and prove (b) by letting x= b, y= a.

The questions are close. So, not much difference in the answers.
You might want to simply prove that "if a> b and k< 0 then ka< kb" first. Then prove (a) by letting x= a, y= b, and prove (b) by letting x= b, y= a. This part I'm not understanding. I'd have to input values and the teacher says that proves nothing. Yeah, I did it in the original post...couldn't solve it any other way.

The teacher uses 'baby talk notation' like +ve

It seems silly to me to use nonstandard notation like "x - y is +ive" when you can say the same thing more economically with "x - y > 0."

MorallyObtuse said:
The questions are close. So, not much difference in the answers.
You might want to simply prove that "if a> b and k< 0 then ka< kb" first. Then prove (a) by letting x= a, y= b, and prove (b) by letting x= b, y= a. This part I'm not understanding. I'd have to input values and the teacher says that proves nothing. Yeah, I did it in the original post...couldn't solve it any other way.

Proving "if a> b and k< 0 then ka< kb", then setting a= x, b= y so that you have proved "if x> y and k< 0 then kx< ky" and setting a=y, b= x so that you have proved "if y> x and k< 0 then ky< kx" is NOT the same as setting "x=6, y=4, k= -2"!

Yeah, I agree with you, Mark :)

Forget it! I barely understand whenever you help me.

Well, "barely understanding" is still better than "not understanding"!

That's true, maybe I'm a little too ungrateful.
Put it this way, I'm not the fastest learner.

1. What is the concept of "proof of real numbers"?

"Proof of real numbers" refers to the mathematical process of demonstrating the validity or truthfulness of a statement or theorem involving real numbers. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to show that a statement is true for all real numbers.

2. Why is it important to prove statements involving real numbers?

Proving statements involving real numbers is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of mathematical theories and concepts. It also helps to establish a foundation for further mathematical developments and applications.

3. How is "proof of real numbers" different from other types of mathematical proofs?

"Proof of real numbers" is a specific type of mathematical proof that focuses on demonstrating the truth of statements involving real numbers. This can involve using different methods and techniques compared to proofs involving other mathematical concepts such as geometry or algebra.

4. What are some common techniques used in proofs of real numbers?

Some common techniques used in proofs of real numbers include algebraic manipulation, induction, contradiction, and direct proof. These methods involve using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to show the truth of a statement for all real numbers.

5. Are there any unsolved problems or open questions related to proofs of real numbers?

Yes, there are still some unsolved problems and open questions in the field of proofs of real numbers. For example, the Riemann Hypothesis, which deals with the distribution of prime numbers, remains unsolved. Other open questions include the Goldbach Conjecture and the Twin Prime Conjecture.