Is there a limit to the validity of laws as the universe expands?

In summary: In other words, the universe is the collection of all the matter and energy that we are able to observe. In summary, Newton's law of gravity can be used to calculate the force exerted by the entire universe on a particle at its surface, as long as the particle is located on a sphere with a radius greater than 10^25 metres. However, if the universe continues to expand, general relativity may need to be used instead to calculate this force. Some laws may lose their validity as time passes in the universe, and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle may become the main law that breaks down other laws, potentially leading to the creation of new universes with different laws. There is evidence for the universe's expansion, but there
kurious
Newton's law of gravity Force = Gm1 m2 / r^2, can be used to calculate the force that the universe as a whole exerts on a particle at its surface, provided a particle on the surface of a sphere containing the entire mass of the universe has a radius greater than 10^ 25 metres (it is currently 10^26 metres).Otherwise general relativity has to be used to calculate " force."
If the universe continues to expand, Newton's law will remain valid for such a calculation of the force of gravity in our universe.Are there any laws which lose their validity completely as time passes in the universe?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
That's bull honkie. The Universe is NOT expanding.

Maybe when time "passes", since QM is a measurable phenomena where position and momentum are its complementary properties, we can conclude that time itself is under the laws of Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which is deeply connected to h plank constant.

Maybe Heisenberg uncertainty principle becomes the main law which breaks down all other laws, and in this state, new universes can be created, with different initial conditions, which implies new laws.

Last edited:
urtalkinstupid said:

What is your reasoning behind this statement?
Do you have an alternative interpretation of redshift?

urtalkinstupid said:

WTF?! not only has it been found that the universe is expanding, but it is accelerating OUTWARD! Proove an explanation for that and a nobel prize is yours.

anyway...back to the thread. I have no idea about what the expanding universe would have on Newtonian physics.

Do you have an alternative interpretation of redshift?

Actually I do. Gravitational redshift could make things look redder that they really are and therefore make them look like they are moving away. Just speculation though.

i don't want to debunk your explanation before you give one...how could gravity cause a change in the frequency of light coming from all directions of the universe.

umm...i don't think so...the universe is accelerating, which has been proven by using type 1 supernovas i believe. The point is...Urtalkinstupid, u are in no possition to say the universe isn't expanding. Especially after your theory of gravity (no offense), i really don't think you should ever talk again.

Nothing is "proven" in physics. Physics is all theorized. OMG, Entropy I can actually relate to what you said. A bond seems to have formed. Gravity (whether it be my theory or pull) can cause redshift on light. It slows the light down but to compensate for the loss in speed, the light has to change its frequency. ArmoSkater87, my theory is perfectly valid. When people tell me neutrinos have no rest mass, that tells me that you have no reason to say that my theory is disproven.

So, anyways, the universe is not expanding. What is seen as redshift is just an affect that is slowing down light making it change frequencies. So, is the nobel prize mine yet? We live in a static universe.

Hi urtalkinstupid,

What is the reason that light is slowing down around us almost simultaneously in all directions?

You have to understand that the chance to find such synchronization among astronomical distances, is millions times less then the Doppler Effect explanation of the expanding universe.

Last edited:
Besides that, you also have to find the mass that's causing all of this gravitational redshift - that's an enormous amount of mass.

Also, you have to show how a universe that isn't precisely homogenous could be static. The slightest purturbation would cause local collapses and expansions. Our local group of galaxies, for example, should be rapidly collapsing, but it isn't.

Last edited:
urtalkinstupid said:
Gravity (whether it be my theory or pull) can cause redshift on light. It slows the light down but to compensate for the loss in speed, the light has to change its frequency.
Pretty easy to test this idea - just look at objects with known masses and see whether there is a relationship between their mass and any observed redshift. GR predicts there is just such a relationship, and observations match the GR predictions.

At a cosmological scale, there is the http://astro.uchicago.edu/~laroque/ISW.html data). Being generous then, urtalkinstupid 0, GR cosmology 1.5

Last edited by a moderator:
urtalkinstupid said:
So, anyways, the universe is not expanding. What is seen as redshift is just an affect that is slowing down light making it change frequencies. So, is the nobel prize mine yet? We live in a static universe.

I think, we are back to the omega problem. Omega equals to 1? Greater than 1? Less than 1? Whoever convincingly finds the true value of omega will definitely be awarded the Nobel Prize.

Last edited:
Expanding Universe

When you say the universe is expanding, be sure to recognize that the universe refers to what we are able to "see" and/or "measure" (whatever the method).

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that around 13.8 billion years ago, the universe was in a hot, dense state and then began to rapidly expand, creating the universe as we know it.

2. What is the singularity in the Big Bang theory?

The singularity refers to a point of infinite density and temperature at the beginning of the universe. It is the starting point of the Big Bang and is where the laws of physics as we know them break down.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the expanding universe observed through redshift.

4. What happened during the Big Bang?

During the Big Bang, the universe rapidly expanded and cooled, causing matter and energy to form. As the universe continued to expand, galaxies, stars, and planets began to form. The laws of physics also emerged during this time.

5. What existed before the Big Bang?

The concept of time and space as we know it did not exist before the Big Bang. Therefore, it is difficult to say what existed before it. Some theories suggest that there may have been a previous universe that collapsed and led to the Big Bang, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists.