Electric Charges, Electric Forces and Electric Fields

In summary, to find the mass of an object with a net charge of 24 x 10^-6 Coulombs that is floating in a uniform electric field of 610 N/C, the formula F=ma is used. The electric field can be calculated using the formula Electric field = Electric force/ q, and once the electric force is determined, it must be equal to the gravitational force acting on the mass. The formula used to calculate the gravitational force is F=mg, where g=9.8.
hirschy

Homework Statement

An object with a net charge of 24 x 10^-6 Coulombs is placed in a uniform electric field of 610 N/C, directed vertically. What is the mass of this object if it floats in this electric field?

Homework Equations

Felectric = kC (q*q/r^2)
Electric Field= kC (q/r^2)
E= Felectric/q
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to use F=ma, but I do not know the acceleration. I don't know how to solve this

Physics news on Phys.org
Which formula can be used to find the strength of the electric force due to the field?

Electric field = Electric force/ q (charge of object)

(Electric field equals the electric force divided by the charge of the object)

Once the electric force is calculated, it must be equal to the gravitational force since the charge is floating. What formula is used to calculate the gravitational force acting on a mass?

F= mg

Force of gravity = mass x 9.8

Bingo

Wow thanks! haha I may have some more questions soon too :)

What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It is measured in units of coulombs (C).

What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

A positive charge is an excess of protons in an atom, while a negative charge is an excess of electrons. These charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other.

What is an electric force?

An electric force is the force exerted between two charged objects. It is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do electric fields work?

An electric field is a region around a charged object where the electric force is exerted on other charged objects. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the object.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. Electric potential energy is the potential energy of a charged object in an electric field, which is equal to the work done to move that object from one point to another in the field.