Finding the Spring Constant for Bungee Jumping

In summary, the conversation is about finding the spring constant for a bungee jump using Hooke's Law and other equations related to potential energy. The person asking for help knows their weight and the expected length the rope will stretch, but does not know the length of the rope or the spring constant. They are seeking guidance on how to use Hooke's Law to find the spring constant.
wangking

Homework Statement

Hey, i need some help here
I'm trying to figure out the spring constant for bungee jump

Say, I'm 735N and the rope will apparently double in length when i jump off it.
I don't know the length of the rope thought.
but i do know it does have a spring constant.
we are trying to find its N/m ratio.
How to find out is the spring constant using the Hooke's Law F=-KX

Please help :)

Homework Equations

F=-KX
EPE=1/2KX^2
EPE=GPE
mgh=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't find the spring constant

Physics news on Phys.org
Fall of potential - mgx.
PE stored in the spring is 1/2kx^2
-mgx = 1/2kx^2
2mg = -kx

What is the spring constant for bungee jumping?

The spring constant for bungee jumping varies depending on several factors such as the type of bungee cord used, the weight of the jumper, and the length of the cord. However, on average, the spring constant ranges from 50 to 150 pounds per foot.

How is the spring constant for bungee jumping calculated?

The spring constant for bungee jumping is calculated by dividing the weight of the jumper by the length of the bungee cord. This gives the spring constant in pounds per foot. For example, a 150-pound jumper with a 100-foot bungee cord would have a spring constant of 1.5 pounds per foot.

Why is the spring constant important in bungee jumping?

The spring constant is important in bungee jumping because it determines how much the bungee cord will stretch when the jumper reaches the end of the cord. If the spring constant is too low, the jumper may hit the ground with too much force. If the spring constant is too high, the jumper may not experience enough of a bounce.

How does the spring constant affect the safety of bungee jumping?

The spring constant is a crucial factor in ensuring the safety of bungee jumping. If the spring constant is not properly calculated, the jumper may experience too much force or not enough of a bounce, which can result in injuries. It is important to carefully choose and test the spring constant to ensure a safe and enjoyable bungee jumping experience.

Can the spring constant be adjusted for different weight and height of jumpers?

Yes, the spring constant can be adjusted for different weight and height of jumpers. Bungee jumping companies typically have a range of bungee cords with different lengths and spring constants to accommodate jumpers of various weights and heights. It is important to choose the appropriate bungee cord and calculate the spring constant for each individual jumper to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.