Expectation value for angular momentum

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating expectation values of angular momentum states using Dirac notation. The main steps involved finding the bra form of the wavefunction, multiplying it with the operator, and then simplifying the resulting expressions using the orthonormality and normalization of the states. The physical interpretation of \langle \psi|L_+|\psi\rangle is the expected value, while \langle 1,1|L_+^2|\psi\rangle has a slightly different interpretation that involves manipulating formulas to get it into a desirable form.
Identity

Homework Statement

A wavefunction of angular momentum states is given:

[tex]\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}|1,-1\rangle + \frac{\sqrt{35}}{7}|1,0\rangle+\sqrt{\frac{1}{7}}|1,1\rangle[/tex]

Calculate [tex]\langle \psi| L_{\pm} |\psi \rangle[/tex] and [tex]\langle 1,1|L_+^2|\psi\rangle[/tex]3. Attempt at a solution.

If the wavefunction and angular momentum operators were given in matrix form, I would be able to solve this, since I know how it all works in the matrix representation.

But I am confused about what to do with dirac notation? I'm not really sure, should I convert the operators and kets into a matrix form... (I'm not sure how to do this either??). Griffiths, the text I'm using, didn't really go much into expectation values for angular momentum, or the matrix representation, so I would really appreciate some tips on where to go to from here. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you are familiar with what result you should obtain when you have L+ (the raising operator) acting in a state? I don't remember what is it exactly but I am sure there is ( taking in account that i.e |1,-1> the 1 refers to l and -1 refers to m) .. I remember that when you have L+ or L- the l part won't change ..

The basis that you have written the wavefunction in is [itex]\left|l,m\right\rangle[/itex], so consider the raising and lower operators [itex]\hat{L}_{\pm}[/itex]; do you know what these operators do when they act on those basis vectors? In other words, for

[tex]
\hat{L}_{\pm}\left|l,m\right\rangle =\lambda\left| l, m\pm 1\right\rangle
[/tex]

do you know what [itex]\lambda[/itex] would be?

Using the same book.

Follow 1618##########'s suggestion. Then try computing the overlap and recall that the wavefunctions are orthonormal, so for example <1,-1|1,1> =0.

When you do the overlap, most of the terms will disappear.

Thanks for the hint... yep i think i know

[tex]\lambda = \hbar \sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m\pm 1)}[/tex]

So... err

[tex]\langle \psi |L_+|\psi\rangle = \langle \psi| \hbar\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m+1)}|\psi\rangle[/tex]

Now do I apply [tex]\hbar\sqrt{l(l+1)-m(m+1)}[/tex] to every basis state inside [tex]\psi[/tex]?

i.e. [tex]L_+|\psi \rangle = \hbar\sqrt{2}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}|1,-1\rangle\right) + \hbar\sqrt{2}\left(\frac{\sqrt{35}}{7}|1,0\rangle\right)+\hbar 0\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}|1,1\rangle\right)[/tex]

Then do i somehow "multiply" this linear combination by [tex]\langle \psi|[/tex]? Sorry I don't really know if I'm going in the right direction.

Going in the right direction.

So you have the operator and the ket. Now you have to multiply with the bra.

So how do you find the bra form of your wavefunction?

The problem statement has nothing to do with the title of the thread.

The bra is simply this right?

[tex]\langle \psi | = \frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}\langle 1,-1|+\frac{\sqrt{35}}{7}\langle 1,0| + \frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}\langle 1,1|[/tex]

So I need to find

[tex]\langle \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}\langle 1,-1|+\frac{\sqrt{35}}{7}\langle 1,0| + \frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}\langle 1,1|\right)|\left(\hbar\sqrt{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{7}}|1,-1\rangle + \hbar\sqrt{2}\frac{\sqrt{35}}{7}|1,0\rangle\right)\rangle[/tex]

And then i use something like the distributive law to multiply out the states, and if I multiply two states that are not the same, then they are orthonormal so they go to zero, and if I multiply together two states that are the same, they equal 1, right?(Dickfore I thought the title would be ok enough to describe the problem, since it does ask for the expectation values of angular momentum - related quantities. I'll try to be more specific next time)

That looks exactly right to me.

Yes, each of the states are orthonormal and normalized already, so that should give you the right answer.

And then to get <L->, you would do it the exact same way, just with a slightly different lambda.

That looks exactly right to me.

Yes, each of the states are orthonormal and normalized already, so that should give you the right answer.

And then to get <L->, you would do it the exact same way, just with a slightly different lambda.

Thanks so much, I finally understand it. In retrospect it feels like I had the knowledge but just needed some prodding to put it into practice.

I guess all I need to do now is try manipulating some formulas to get [tex]\langle 1,1|L_+^2|\psi\rangle[/tex] into the desirable form.

Just one last question, I think I know the interpretation of [tex]\langle \psi|L_+|\psi\rangle[/tex], it's just the expected value.

But what is the physical interpretation of [tex]\langle 1,1|L_+^2|\psi\rangle[/tex]?

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of expectation value for angular momentum?

The concept of expectation value for angular momentum is a measure of the average or expected value of the angular momentum of a system. It takes into account all possible values of angular momentum and their probabilities to calculate a single value that represents the expected outcome.

2. How is expectation value for angular momentum calculated?

The expectation value for angular momentum is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the angular momentum operator and the wave function of the system. This integral represents the average value of angular momentum over all possible states of the system.

3. What is the significance of expectation value for angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value for angular momentum is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to predict the average behavior of a quantum system. It also plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and properties of atoms and molecules, which have angular momentum associated with them.

4. How does the expectation value for angular momentum relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact values of certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum or energy and time. The expectation value for angular momentum is one of these pairs, and it is related to the uncertainty principle by the fact that the more precisely we know the expectation value, the less precise our knowledge of the individual angular momentum values of the system will be.

5. Can the expectation value for angular momentum be measured experimentally?

Yes, the expectation value for angular momentum can be measured experimentally using techniques such as electron spin resonance or nuclear magnetic resonance. These methods involve applying a magnetic field to the system and measuring the resulting changes in energy levels, which can then be used to calculate the expectation value for angular momentum.