Conducting sphere in a conducting spherical shell

In summary, the inner surface of the conducting spherical shell has a total charge of -6 micro C, and the outer surface has a total charge of 12 micro C. This can be deduced by considering Gauss's Law, which states that the electric field within a conducting material is always zero. Therefore, the total charge within a Gaussian surface within the shell must be zero, allowing us to determine the charges on the inner and outer surfaces.
GreenDinos
A conducting sphere that carries a total charge of 6 micro C is placed at the center of a conducting spherical shell that also carries a total charge of 6 micro C .
(a) Determine the charge on the inner surface of the shell.
(b) Determine the total charge on the outer surface of the shell.

this seems like it shouldn't be too hard, but i guess i just don't understand the concepts well enough to figure it out...

I was thinking about where I would put field lines in this to understand what's going on- but all i can come up with is that inside a spherical shell there's no electric field...but there's a conducting sphere in there which throws that off. I'm not sure that would help anyway. I guess I'm just thinking- that since they both have + charges, the inside part of the shell would be...i dunno, -6 micro Coulombs...since the electrons would move to the charge??...and that maybe, since the charges are both radiating out- the outer surface would be 12 micro C? I am probably very wrong but this is why i am looking for help. anything would be much appreciated.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss's Law

Welcome to PF!
GreenDinos said:
I was thinking about where I would put field lines in this to understand what's going on- but all i can come up with is that inside a spherical shell there's no electric field...
Depends what you mean by "inside the shell". Inside the cavity the field will be zero only if there's no charge inside. Inside the conducting material of the shell itself--that's where the static electric field will always be zero. So imagine a Gaussian surface inside the conducting material.
but there's a conducting sphere in there which throws that off. I'm not sure that would help anyway. I guess I'm just thinking- that since they both have + charges, the inside part of the shell would be...i dunno, -6 micro Coulombs...since the electrons would move to the charge??...and that maybe, since the charges are both radiating out- the outer surface would be 12 micro C? I am probably very wrong but this is why i am looking for help. anything would be much appreciated.
thanks
Well, whether you know it or not you are exactly correct. Since the field within the conducting material is zero, the total charge within that Gaussian surface must be zero. That tells you the charge on the inner surface. And you know what the total charge is on the shell, thus you can deduce what the outer charge must be. Think it over.

Doc Al said:
Since the field within the conducting material is zero, the total charge within that Gaussian surface must be zero.

Ah ha! that's a big help- that's basically what i was thinking but i couldn't find anything in my book that said it clearly. Thanks so much for your help!

1. What is a conducting sphere in a conducting spherical shell?

A conducting sphere in a conducting spherical shell is a setup in which a spherical object made of a conducting material (such as metal) is placed inside a larger spherical object also made of a conducting material. This setup is often used in physics experiments to study electric fields and potential.

2. How does the electric field behave inside and outside of the conducting sphere in a conducting spherical shell?

Inside the conducting sphere, the electric field is zero, as the charges on the surface of the sphere redistribute themselves to cancel out any electric field. Outside of the conducting sphere, the electric field behaves as if the conducting sphere is a point charge located at its center, as the electric field lines are not affected by the conducting shell.

3. What is the purpose of using a conducting spherical shell in this setup?

The conducting spherical shell serves as a way to isolate the conducting sphere from external electric fields. This allows for a more controlled experiment, as the only electric field present is that due to the conducting sphere itself.

4. How does the potential differ inside and outside of the conducting sphere in a conducting spherical shell?

Inside the conducting sphere, the potential is constant and equal to the potential at the surface of the sphere. Outside of the conducting sphere, the potential behaves as if the conducting sphere is a point charge located at its center, with the potential decreasing with distance according to the inverse square law.

5. How is the capacitance of a conducting sphere in a conducting spherical shell calculated?

The capacitance of a conducting sphere in a conducting spherical shell can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0a, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space and a is the radius of the conducting sphere. This formula assumes that the conducting spherical shell has a much larger radius than the conducting sphere itself.