Slippery finger pushing on a large drum head.

• Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drum Head
In summary, when pushing down on a drum head with no friction, concentric waves are produced as the finger accelerates at a constant velocity in the x direction. These waves are influenced by the excitation velocity, drumhead material, and surrounding environment. The drum head's resistance to acceleration would increase at higher velocities, with most of the work being done by the fluid. This phenomenon is used in full-range loudspeakers and can vary in complexity and quality in different drum heads.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Say I push down on a very large drum head that lies in the z = 0 plane at equilibrium. Suppose there is no friction between my finger and the drum head. Suppose my finger tip pushes the drum head down some distance d. Suppose I accelerate my finger tip to some constant velocity v in the x direction while always keeping my finger tip in the plane z = -d.

Are waves produced during the acceleration of my finger?

Once my finger is in motion does it tend to stay in constant motion, that is does the drum head resist acceleration or deceleration of my finger tip?

I hope this is the right forum. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Concentric waves will form in the drumhead, the nature of the wave being a result of the excitation velocity, the drumhead material and fluid (presumably air). The result is that the wave will transfer energy to the fluid where frequency is a function of wave diameter. In other words, higher frequencies will come from the area closest to the finger, and lower frequencies towards the perimeter. These waves are further modified by the drum enclosure and the immediate environment. Drum waveforms are surprisingly complex.

This radial variation characteristic is used is full-range loudspeakers and sometimes called a "mechanical crossover". Full-range speakers tend to be either very crummy or fabulously expensive audiophile units.

The drum head would resist acceleration, at higher velocities most work would be done by the fluid.

1. How does the size of the drum head affect the sound produced by a slippery finger?

The size of the drum head can greatly affect the sound produced by a slippery finger. A larger drum head will produce a deeper and louder sound, while a smaller drum head will produce a higher and softer sound. This is due to the fact that a larger drum head has a greater surface area for the finger to glide across, creating more vibrations and producing a louder sound.

2. What causes the slippery feeling when pushing on a drum head?

The slippery feeling when pushing on a drum head is caused by the lubrication of oils and sweat on the surface of the skin. These substances reduce friction between the finger and the drum head, allowing for a smooth and fast movement.

3. Does the tension of the drum head affect the sound created by a slippery finger?

Yes, the tension of the drum head does affect the sound created by a slippery finger. When a drum head is tightly stretched, it produces a higher pitched sound due to the increased tension and vibration. On the other hand, a looser drum head will produce a deeper sound with less tension and vibration.

4. Can different types of drum heads affect the sound produced by a slippery finger?

Yes, different types of drum heads can have a significant impact on the sound produced by a slippery finger. Different materials, thicknesses, and coatings of drum heads can all affect the tone, volume, and overall quality of the sound produced.

5. Are there any specific techniques for achieving a desired sound when using a slippery finger on a drum head?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to achieve a desired sound when using a slippery finger on a drum head. These include varying the pressure and speed of the finger, using different parts of the finger (such as the tip or the side), and experimenting with different angles and positions on the drum head. Additionally, incorporating other drumming techniques such as accents and rolls can also enhance the sound created by a slippery finger on a drum head.