How to find Velocity Inital with just angle and time?

In summary, the formula for finding initial velocity with just angle and time is v<sub>0</sub> = g * t / sin(θ), where v<sub>0</sub> is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, t is the time, and θ is the angle. In order to find initial velocity with the given angle and time, you can either measure or calculate them. The units for initial velocity when using this formula are meters per second (m/s). It is not possible to find initial velocity without knowing the angle and time, and this formula can only be used for objects experiencing projectile motion.
ktmjake1107
1. A football i kicked from a platform at an angle of 55 degrees. The time from its inital kick to where it landed was 2.3 seconds.

t= 2.3s
vi= ?
max y=?
change in x=?
angle= 55

2. I do not know what equtaion to use on this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just assume the initial speed of the ball is equal to v.
You can split the problem in a vertical and a horizontal direction
solve the vertical problem first to find out what v must be to make the ball return to Earth in 2.3 s

1. What is the formula for finding initial velocity with just angle and time?

The formula for finding initial velocity with just angle and time is v0 = g * t / sin(θ), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s2), t is the time, and θ is the angle.

2. How do I determine the angle and time in order to find initial velocity?

In order to find initial velocity using the given angle and time, you can either measure or calculate them. The angle can be measured using a protractor or calculated using trigonometric functions if you have the distance and height of the object. The time can be measured using a stopwatch or calculated using the time formula t = √(2h / g), where h is the height of the object.

3. Can I find initial velocity without knowing the angle and time?

No, it is not possible to find initial velocity without knowing the angle and time. These two pieces of information are necessary in order to use the formula for initial velocity.

4. What are the units for initial velocity when using the formula with angle and time?

The units for initial velocity when using the formula with angle and time are meters per second (m/s). This is because the units for acceleration due to gravity is m/s2, and the units for time and angle are seconds (s) and radians (rad) respectively.

5. Can I use this formula to find initial velocity for any type of motion?

No, this formula is specifically used for objects that are launched at an angle and experience projectile motion. For other types of motion, such as constant velocity or circular motion, different formulas are used to find initial velocity.