Is There a Connection Between Quantum Physics and the Golden Ratio?

In summary, It is suggested that instead of obsessing over the golden ratio, one should focus on understanding the evolution of the universe through physics. While there may be coincidences and relationships between the golden ratio and quantum physics, it is not a reliable way to gain a deeper understanding. Additionally, there may be contentious issues surrounding this topic.
matthewmalay
Hello, this is my first post so please be patient. I studied mathematics and have actuary qualifications. I was always obsess with the golden ratio. I was wondering if there was a relation between quantum physics and the golden ratio. A hunch told me so.

Physics news on Phys.org
matthewmalay said:
Hello, this is my first post so please be patient. I studied mathematics and have actuary qualifications. I was always obsess with the golden ratio. I was wondering if there was a relation between quantum physics and the golden ratio. A hunch told me so.
With due respect, my humble opinion is that if your goal is to better understand how the world works, then it might be a good idea to get unobsessed with the golden ratio. Of course such a ratio might be associated with certain ways of analyzing and representing the physical world, including aspects of quantum physics. But such numerology isn't really going to lead to a deeper understanding of how things evolve. Physics quantifies the evolution of our universe, and, wrt this quantification, insofar as the evolution is indeed orderly, there are going to be some interesting numerical coincidences, associations, relationships.

In any case, my current understanding is that there are some contentious, and perhaps personal, issues surrounding this.

1. What is the Golden Ratio?

The Golden Ratio, also known as the divine proportion, is a mathematical ratio of approximately 1.618. It is often found in nature and has been used in art, architecture, and design for centuries.

2. How is the Golden Ratio related to science?

The Golden Ratio has been observed in various scientific fields, such as biology, physics, and astronomy. It is believed to be a fundamental principle of the universe and has been studied for its potential applications in fields such as mathematics and computer science.

3. Can the Golden Ratio be applied in scientific experiments?

Yes, the Golden Ratio can be applied in scientific experiments as a way to analyze and interpret data. It has been used in various studies to understand patterns and relationships between variables.

4. Is the Golden Ratio considered to be a universal constant?

No, the Golden Ratio is not considered to be a universal constant as its value can vary depending on the specific measurement or calculation being used. However, it is often seen as a universal principle or concept that can be found in many natural and man-made phenomena.

5. What are some potential real-world applications of the Golden Ratio in science?

Some potential applications of the Golden Ratio in science include the design of more efficient solar panels, the development of algorithms for pattern recognition, and the study of fractals and chaos theory. It is also being explored in fields such as genetics and neuroscience for its potential impact on understanding the complexities of the human body and brain.