Find eccentricity of orbit of comet

In summary, the eccentricity for a comet with mass 1.2x1010kg moving in an elliptical orbit around the sun can be found using the formula e = f/a, where f is the distance between the foci and a is the length of the major axis. The foci can be determined by using the values for perihelion and aphelion, which are given as .5AU and 50 AU respectively.
moondawg

Homework Statement

Find eccentricity for: a comet with mass 1.2x1010kg moves in an elliptical orbit around the sun. Its distance from the Sun ranges between .5AU and 50 AU.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew it out to try and viualize it and i know eccentricity is the distance between the foci divided by length of major axis but how do i find the foci?! So confused and I know this problem is probably extremely easy please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi moondawg! :smile:
moondawg said:
Its distance from the Sun ranges between .5AU and 50 AU.

¬ i know eccentricity is the distance between the foci divided by length of major axis but how do i find the foci?! So confused and I know this problem is probably extremely easy please help!

yes, https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=96" = f/a …

hint: what are perihelion and aphelion in terms of f and a ? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is eccentricity in terms of a comet's orbit?

Eccentricity is a measure of how elongated or circular a comet's orbit is. It is represented by a decimal between 0 and 1, with 0 being a perfectly circular orbit and 1 being a highly elongated orbit.

2. How is eccentricity calculated for a comet's orbit?

Eccentricity is calculated by dividing the distance between the two foci (focus points) of the comet's orbit by the length of the major axis (longest diameter) of the ellipse. This calculation is based on Kepler's laws of planetary motion.

3. Why is it important to know the eccentricity of a comet's orbit?

The eccentricity of a comet's orbit affects its speed and position at different points along its orbit. This can impact the comet's visibility from Earth and the amount of time it spends in different regions of the solar system. It also provides insight into the comet's origin and history.

4. How does the eccentricity of a comet's orbit change over time?

The eccentricity of a comet's orbit can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects in the solar system or the release of gas and dust from the comet's surface. Some comets have highly eccentric orbits that can change drastically over time, while others have more stable orbits with low eccentricity.

5. Can the eccentricity of a comet's orbit be used to predict its future path?

Yes, knowing the eccentricity of a comet's orbit can help scientists predict its future path and determine when it will return to the inner solar system. However, sudden changes in a comet's eccentricity can make long-term predictions difficult, so constant monitoring and analysis are necessary.