Voltammetry of alkylated colloids

• Thread starter timmyeatchips
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colloids
In summary, the conversation is about using voltammetry to determine energy levels in semiconductor nanoparticles held in colloidal suspension by an alkyl monolayer. The speaker is concerned about whether or not this hydrophobic layer will cause problems with electron transfer at the electrodes. They discuss the use of phase transfer catalysts and micellar structures to help with this issue. The ultimate goal is to calculate the HOMO-LUMO energy gap. The analysis will be carried out in organic solvent, and the main concern is that the alkyl layer may prevent electrical contact between the silicon core of the particles and the electrodes. It is mentioned that the hydrophobic tails may slow down the process, but not necessarily block it.
timmyeatchips
Can anyone point me towards some background reading on how to go about using voltammetry to determine energy levels in semiconductor nanoparticles that are held in colloidal suspension by an alkyl (probably undecyl) monolayer - will this hydrophobic envelope pose problems in terms of getting electron transfer to occur at the electrodes?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, I see that you are an advanced chemistry-related guy. Nice to see you here. I think some phase transfer catalyst or micellar structire will help this hydrophobic envelope be in the solution with no harmful effects.

I have little knowledge about voltammetry, but since charged particles are affected, it has something to do with zeta potentials, etc. If you tell me the principle behind this, maybe I can be of more help. Or just wait for the other members.

I'm simply trying to reduce / oxidise the particles in contact with the working electrode, driven by an external potential, in the hope of being able to determine the potentials at which the first oxidation/reduction occurs and therefore be able to calculate the HOMO-LUMO energy gap.
The analysis will be carried out in organic solvent. My main concern is that the alkyl layer may prevent electrical contact between the silicon core of the particles and the electrodes

Last edited:
Well, since "equivalent dissolves equivalent", your hydrophobic tail will be solvatized by relatively minor amounts of organic solvent (cf. water, a.k.a. hydratation). If the alkyl layer is a normal alkane with no branches, then these hydrophobic tails will tend to stay outside of the silicon cores, I presume. So they may slow the process down, but not necessarily block.

Regards

1. What is voltammetry of alkylated colloids?

Voltammetry of alkylated colloids is a technique used in analytical chemistry to study the electrochemical behavior of colloidal particles that have been modified with alkyl groups. This allows for the characterization of the surface properties and behavior of these particles in various environments.

2. How is voltammetry of alkylated colloids performed?

This technique involves applying a voltage to a solution containing the alkylated colloids and measuring the resulting current. The voltage is typically varied over a specific range, and the resulting current is recorded to create a voltammogram. The shape and magnitude of the voltammogram provide information about the electrochemical properties of the particles.

3. What are the advantages of using voltammetry of alkylated colloids?

Voltammetry of alkylated colloids offers several advantages, including its high sensitivity and ability to provide information about the surface properties of the particles. It is also a relatively simple and cost-effective technique compared to other methods of studying colloids.

4. What types of information can be obtained from voltammetry of alkylated colloids?

This technique can provide information about the size, shape, and charge of the colloidal particles, as well as their interactions with other substances in the solution. It can also be used to monitor changes in the surface properties of the particles under different conditions.

5. What are some applications of voltammetry of alkylated colloids?

Voltammetry of alkylated colloids has a wide range of applications in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and environmental monitoring. It can be used to study the behavior of nanoparticles, monitor the stability of colloidal suspensions, and evaluate the effectiveness of surface modifications on the particles.