Modeling 3 Thin Layers Bonded Together with Ansys

In summary, the conversation discusses using Ansys to model 3 thin layers of different materials bonded together. The question is asked about selecting shell elements in Ansys Workbench and if there are any tutorials available. The film thickness of the layers is mentioned to be very small at 0.0011 inch and concerns about modeling relevant effects are raised.
deveshp1
I am new to Ansys and I wish to model 3 very thin layers of different materials bonded to each other. Can someone please reply back.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Laminated shell elements. I guess there's an easy material you can define in WB for that.

I am new to ansys so this question may sound silly.. How do we select shell element in Ansys work bench? do u have any link to a tutorial?

My film thickness is very small approx. 0.0011 inch composed of 3 layers.

deveshp1 said:
I am new to ansys so this question may sound silly.. How do we select shell element in Ansys work bench? do u have any link to a tutorial?

My film thickness is very small approx. 0.0011 inch composed of 3 layers.

I hardly have any experience with ANSYS either. But I'm sure if your model is made from flat surfaces (not solids) then it'll automatically mesh into shells.

However, with all that thinness, make sure you'll be modelling the relevant effects. Is it bending, pretensioned, deforming a lot?

1. What is Ansys?

Ansys is a finite element analysis software used for computer-aided engineering simulations. It is widely used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing for product design and optimization.

2. How does Ansys model 3 thin layers bonded together?

Ansys uses the finite element method to discretize the layers into smaller elements and then solves the equations for each element to obtain a solution for the entire system. The bond between the layers is modeled using appropriate contact or cohesive elements.

3. What are the inputs required for modeling 3 thin layers bonded together with Ansys?

The inputs required include the geometry of the layers, material properties of each layer, bonding properties, and boundary conditions. The user also needs to define the type of analysis (static, dynamic, etc.) and the type of element to be used.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from modeling 3 thin layers bonded together with Ansys?

The accuracy of the results depends on the inputs provided by the user and the assumptions made in the model. If the inputs are accurate and the model is well-defined, Ansys can provide highly accurate results. However, it is always recommended to validate the results with experimental data.

5. Can Ansys simulate different types of bonding between the layers?

Yes, Ansys has various contact and cohesive elements that can simulate different types of bonding between the layers. These elements can take into account factors such as friction, adhesion, and separation to accurately model the bond behavior between the layers.