Attraction of two charged particles

In summary, the two particles experience the same force and therefore have the same acceleration. Therefore, their speeds are equal and their kinetic energy is also equal.
Gunthi

Homework Statement

Two charged particles q1 and q2, both of m=10g:

q1-----O----------q2
|-5cm-||----10cm--|

q1=4 microC
q2=-2 microC

Find the velocity of q1 when it passes O.

Homework Equations

(for some reason latex isn't working on my browser)

a=dv/dt=(dv/dx).(dx
/t)=v.(dv/dx)

Both charges 'feel' the force:

m.a=K.(1/x)

K=q1q2/(4pi(e0))

x being the distance between the particles.

The Attempt at a Solution

v.dv=a.dx

integrating on both sides from the initial to the final states of the respective du's

(v^2)/2=-K(1/xf-1/xi)

In the same dt both travel the same dx, so if q1 is at 0 q2 must be at 5 cm from 0 so xf=5cm and xi=15cm.

Doing the math I get vf=13.8 m/s and I should be getting 4sqrt(6) m/s (aprox 9.8 m/s).

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone offer me new insight into this problem?

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered approaching the problem from a conservation of energy point of view?

gneill said:
Have you considered approaching the problem from a conservation of energy point of view?

Yes.

Ec1 + Ec2 + V1 + V2 = Ec1'+ Ec2' + V1' + V2'

Ec1=Ec2=0 and V1=q1/(4.pi.e0.r12)

V1+V2-(V1'+V2') = 2Ec1' because same force -> same acceleration so pf1=pf2 (E=p^2/2m)

I get vf=sqrt([(1/r12-1/r12')(q1+q2)/(m.4.pi.(e0)]) with r12 the distance between the particles in the beginning and r12' the distance between them when q1 is at O.

Because r12>r12' vf becomes imaginary...

PE = k*q1*q2/r

Find the initial PE and final PE. The magnitude of the change in PE will equal the change in KE. This KE will be equally shared by both particles.

gneill said:
PE = k*q1*q2/r

Find the initial PE and final PE. The magnitude of the change in PE will equal the change in KE. This KE will be equally shared by both particles.

So KE=k.q1.q2(1/r12'-1/r12) and dKE1 = (p1'^2)/(2m).

But dKE1=KE/2 which means p1'^2 = k.q1.q2.m(1/r12'-1/r12) which is the same expression I got in the first post...

Maybe the solutions are wrong... If you have any other alternative I'm all ears, if not thanks for taking the time ;)

Initial PE: PE0 = k*q1*q2/15cm = -0.479 J

Final PE: PE1 = k*q1*q2/5cm = -1.438 J

|ΔPE| = 0.959 J

So KE is 0.959 J

There are two equally massed particles, so

(1/2)*m*v2 + (1/2)*m*v2 = 0.959 J

or

m*v2 = 0.959 J

Got it. Thanks ;)

What is the concept of attraction between two charged particles?

The attraction between two charged particles is an electromagnetic force that exists between two particles with opposite charges. This force is caused by the exchange of virtual photons between the particles, creating an attractive force.

How does the distance between two charged particles affect their attraction?

The attraction between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force of attraction decreases.

What factors determine the strength of attraction between two charged particles?

The strength of attraction between two charged particles is determined by the magnitude of their charges and the distance between them. The larger the charges and the smaller the distance, the stronger the attraction will be.

Can two particles with the same charge be attracted to each other?

No, particles with the same charge will repel each other due to the same electromagnetic force. Only particles with opposite charges can attract each other.

How does the presence of other particles or objects affect the attraction between two charged particles?

The presence of other particles or objects can affect the attraction between two charged particles by altering the electric field between them. This can either increase or decrease the strength of the attraction depending on the charges and distances of the particles involved.