About Advanced Calculus by Loomis and Sternberg

In summary, the conversation is about a book that the speaker found in their school library and how they perceive it to be more suitable for physicists rather than pure math students. The book is described as being descriptive, comprehensive, and mathematically dense. The speaker also mentions other recommended math books and resources. They express gratitude for the suggestions given.
wisvuze
Hey, I found a copy of this book at my school library and I've been looking through it; I've been brought under the impression that this book is more geared towards a physicists audience versus being a "pure math" book. But other than the final chapter on mechanics, I've so far thought that the book is as math as anything else. In fact, it's very descriptive and comprehensive and eludes to things other math books at this level maybe won't
does anyone else think that this book is more suitable for a physicist? I don't get how you can call rudin's "principle of mathematics" a pure math book, and this a physicists' math book when this is far more mathematically dense than rudin's book

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, but I'm looking for a math-math book, but I think so far this loomis book has been really great; so far, much better than rudin's book or anything like that. Other than Dieudonne's "Foundations of mathematical analysis", I think this had been my favourite analysis book so far

1. What is the purpose of "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg?

The purpose of "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the concepts and techniques of advanced calculus, including multivariable calculus, vector analysis, and differential equations. It is intended for students who have already completed a standard introductory calculus course and are interested in furthering their understanding of mathematics.

2. Who are the authors of "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg?

The authors of "Advanced Calculus" are John Loomis, a mathematician and professor at Harvard University, and Shlomo Sternberg, a mathematician and professor at Harvard University as well as the director of the Center for Mathematical Sciences and Applications. Both authors have extensive experience in teaching and research in the field of mathematics.

3. Is "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg is suitable for self-study. The book is written in a clear and accessible manner, with numerous examples and exercises to aid in understanding. However, it is recommended that readers have a solid foundation in basic calculus and mathematical proofs before attempting to study this book on their own.

4. What topics are covered in "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg?

"Advanced Calculus" covers a wide range of topics including limits, continuity, differentiation and integration of functions of several variables, vector analysis, differential equations, and more. It also includes discussions on the applications of these concepts to physics and other fields.

5. Are there any supplemental materials available for "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg?

Yes, there are several supplemental materials available for "Advanced Calculus" by Loomis and Sternberg, including a solutions manual for the exercises, lecture notes, and additional practice problems. These materials can be found on the publisher's website or through other online resources.