Up to date cosmology textbook, >Linder, <Weinberg?

In summary, there are three possible options for a cosmology book that is more substantial than Linder but less than Weinberg: Cosmology by Coles and Lucchin, Physical Foundations of Cosmology by Mukhanov, and Modern Cosmology by Dodelson. These books are recommended without any further comments.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Is there any cosmology book out there that is up to date, more substantial than Linder, but less so than Weinberg? I own Linder and have read it, and it's fine, but it only goes so far. I have a pretty firm grasp of GR, but if I bought Weinberg I think the chances I'd wade through it are slim. I'm not embarking on a career as a theorist in this area, and I have no interest in learning technical tricks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
Is there any cosmology book out there that is up to date, more substantial than Linder, but less so than Weinberg? I own Linder and have read it, and it's fine, but it only goes so far. I have a pretty firm grasp of GR, but if I bought Weinberg I think the chances I'd wade through it are slim. I'm not embarking on a career as a theorist in this area, and I have no interest in learning technical tricks.

I'll offer three possibilities without any comments:

1) Cosmology by Coles and Lucchin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471489093/?tag=pfamazon01-20

2) Physical Foundations of Cosmology by Mukhanov
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521563984/?tag=pfamazon01-20

3) Modern Cosmology by Dodelson
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521563984/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, George and Frimus!

What is the main focus of the "Up to date cosmology textbook" by Linder and Weinberg?

The main focus of this textbook is to provide a comprehensive and current understanding of cosmology, the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

Who are the authors of this textbook and what are their backgrounds?

The authors of this textbook are Eric Linder, a professor of physics and astronomy at the University of California, Berkeley, and Steven Weinberg, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist and professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

What sets this cosmology textbook apart from others?

This textbook is unique in that it presents the latest research and theories in cosmology, including topics such as dark energy, dark matter, and cosmic inflation. It also includes numerous illustrations and exercises to help readers better understand the concepts.

Is this textbook suitable for beginners in cosmology?

Yes, this textbook is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of cosmology and gradually builds upon them. However, some prior knowledge of physics and astronomy may be helpful.

Can this textbook be used as a reference for more advanced studies in cosmology?

Yes, this textbook can be used as a reference for more advanced studies as it covers a wide range of topics and provides detailed explanations and mathematical derivations. It is also frequently updated to reflect the latest advancements in the field.