Single slit interference and Diffraction Grating

In summary, if one covers one slit in a double slit interference experiment, fewer bright fringes would be observed and the intensity of the remaining bright fringes would decrease. In the case of replacing a diffraction grating with a double slit setup, the interference patterns would change. Additionally, a double slit experiment can be converted into a single slit experiment by covering one slit, and vice versa.
elemis
Lets say I have a double slit interference experiment set up. Now if I cover one slit what CHANGES would be observed ?

I know I would see fewer bright fringes and that the intensity of the bright fringes would fall. Is there anything else ?In a different scenario I have a diffraction grating setup. Let's say replace the grating with a double slit setup. What changes would be observed ?EDIT : In each case I am interested in changes to the interference patterns. Two observations for each would be helpful.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Here's a video (kiddy version, but does the job) explaining the double and single slit experiments.

Also, if you have a double slit experiment and cover 1 slit, you get a single slit experiment. Vice versa.
What are you asking?

Bloodthunder said:
Here's a video (kiddy version, but does the job) explaining the double and single slit experiments.

Also, if you have a double slit experiment and cover 1 slit, you get a single slit experiment. Vice versa.
What are you asking?

What I am asking is in the above scenarios what changes would one observe in the interference patterns ?

What is single slit interference?

Single slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a single slit is placed in front of a light source, causing the light waves to diffract and interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen behind the slit.

What is the difference between single slit interference and diffraction grating?

The main difference between single slit interference and diffraction grating is the number of slits involved. Single slit interference involves only one slit, while diffraction grating involves multiple slits arranged in a regular pattern. This results in a more complex interference pattern.

How does the width of the slit affect the interference pattern in single slit interference?

The width of the slit directly affects the spacing of the interference fringes on the screen. A wider slit will result in wider fringes, while a narrower slit will result in narrower fringes. In addition, a wider slit will result in a less distinct interference pattern, while a narrower slit will result in a more distinct pattern.

What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and the spacing of fringes in single slit interference?

The spacing of fringes in single slit interference is directly proportional to the wavelength of light. This means that as the wavelength of light increases, the spacing between fringes also increases.

What is the practical application of diffraction grating?

Diffraction grating is commonly used in spectrometers to separate different wavelengths of light. It is also used in the production of holograms and in optical instruments such as telescopes and microscopes for precise measurements of light wavelengths.