Which Calculus books are recommended for beginners and more advanced learners?

• Thread starter Luke101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, for a solid background in maths for pursuing physics, it is recommended to start with a beginner's calculus book such as Larson, McQuarrie, Stewart, or Thomas. For more advanced calculus, Thomas' calculus is also a good option. Other important topics to focus on include linear algebra, probability, and statistics. Additionally, Michael Spivak's Calculus and Stewart's Essential Calculus are also suggested as helpful resources for introductory calculus. However, Spivak's book may not be suitable for beginners due to its advanced level.
Luke101
Hello, I'm wanting to get a solid maths background so i can pursue physics but I've pretty much forgotten everything i learned at GCSE level.

Can you please recommend a beginners calculus book and a more advanced Calculus for when I've done. Any other Maths topics i should be looking into?

Please post your recommended books, thanks alot, Luke :)

Physics news on Phys.org
basic books for calculus :

* Larson, Ron, Bruce H. Edwards (2010). "Calculus", 9th ed., Brooks Cole Cengage Learning. ISBN 9780547167022
* McQuarrie, Donald A. (2003). Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers, University Science Books. ISBN 9781891389245
* Stewart, James (2008). Calculus: Early Transcendentals, 6th ed., Brooks Cole Cengage Learning. ISBN 9780495011668
* Thomas, George B., Maurice D. Weir, Joel Hass, Frank R. Giordano (2008), "Calculus", 11th ed., Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-321-48987-X

* thomas calculus is also a good book for calculus...you should also have to concentrate on linear algebra for applications, probability and statistics also

Thanks a lot for the reply! ill look into getting them :))

I've found Michael Spivak's Calculus refreshingly clear and reader-friendly.

I prefer Stewart's Essential Calculus to his longer text. It's a wonderful book for introductory calculus. Very easy to read, has good exercises, and some of his explanations (especially on continuity) are genius.

I have no suggestions for advanced calculus, however.

I like Spivak's calculus, but I would not consider it a beginner book at all. A great deal in the first few chapters goes undefined, and it's almost like he expects the reader to have some formal knowledge of mathematical wording. I would stick to something like the Stewart book.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is used to solve problems that involve finding the maximum and minimum values of functions, determining the slopes of curves, and calculating areas and volumes.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides the necessary tools to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It also helps us understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future outcomes.

3. How do I get started with Calculus?

To get started with Calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. You can then begin with the basics of differential and integral calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to improve your understanding.

4. What are the main applications of Calculus?

Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, statistics, and even medicine. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, predict future outcomes, and optimize processes. Some common applications include finding the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, determining the maximum profit for a business, and calculating the growth rate of a population.

5. How can I improve my skills in Calculus?

To improve your skills in Calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try to solve more challenging problems and explore different applications of Calculus. Additionally, attending lectures, joining study groups, and using online resources and practice materials can also help you improve your understanding and skills in Calculus.