Steady State Error of a PI Controlled System (parabolic input)

In summary, the conversation discusses a PI controlled robotic joint system and the process of finding the value of Ki for a desired steady state error of 5%. The solution involves using the equation Ka=lim(s>0) s^2G(s)P(s)=20 to calculate the value of Ki, and then using this value in a Simulink model. The conversation also includes questions about the parabolic input, the correct way to model the PI controller in Simulink, and whether it is necessary to consider external disturbance. The expert suggests using two transfer function blocks in series and checking the answer with sisotool.
Saam
Hey guys/gals,

The block diagram attached is a PI controlled robotic joint system where:

G(s)=Kp+(Ki/s)
P(s)=48500/(s^2+2.89s)

R(s)= joint’s desired angular position
C(s)= joint’s angular position
D(s)= external disturbance
G(s)= PI controller
ess= Steady State Error

My problem:
A) Find the value Ki that will result in ess=5% for a parabolic input.
B) Using this value of Ki find the range of Kp for closed-loop stability.

My solution:

ess=1/Ka=0.05

Ka=lim(s>0) s^2G(s)P(s)=20

G(s)P(s)=((sKp+Ki)/s)(48500/(s^2+2.89s))
=(48500sKp+48500Ki)/(s^3+2.89s^2)
=(48500sKp+48500Ki)/(s^2(s+2.89))

Ka=48500Ki/2.89=20
Ki=20*2.89/48500
Ki=0.0011917

I tried using this Ki value in my Simulink model (other attachment) but the system didn’t have any steady state error, and I could only manage to get steady state error by making Ki = 0.
Also, I didn’t know how to insert a parabolic input into Simulink so I used this instead:
Ramp x Ramp x 0.5 to represent (½)t^2

My questions:
1) Is my parabolic input correct?
2) Is my PI controller set out correctly in my Simulink model? (I wasn’t sure how to model the I component)
3) For this part of the question I’ve been ignoring the disturbance (D(s)), it’s not mentioned in this part, is it ok to ignore?
4) Am I going about finding Ki the right way?
5) What path should I take to get Kp after I have Ki? I’m thinking I need to do a Routh array.

Looking for a little nudge toward the right path.

Thanks for the help,
Sam

Attachments

• Q66 diagram.jpg
    Q66 diagram.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 977
  • simulink.jpg
    simulink.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2,164
Physics news on Phys.org
1) try two transfer function blocks [1/s] in series. (Although I suspect what you're doing is equivalent)

2) It is correct, although there is PID controller block.

3) There is no model of D(s) given so you can assume nothing helpful.

4) Looks like you're on the right track but its too late to check numbers right now.

5)You can do that.

Hint: You can check your answer (or solve the problem) using sisotool.

1. What is the steady state error of a PI controlled system with a parabolic input?

The steady state error of a PI controlled system with a parabolic input is the difference between the desired output and the actual output of the system after it has reached a stable state. It is a measure of the system's ability to accurately track the reference input.

2. How is the steady state error calculated for a PI controlled system with a parabolic input?

The steady state error for a PI controlled system with a parabolic input is typically calculated using the final value theorem, which involves taking the limit as time approaches infinity of the closed-loop transfer function multiplied by the parabolic input signal. The resulting value is then subtracted from the desired output to determine the steady state error.

3. Can the steady state error be eliminated in a PI controlled system with a parabolic input?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the steady state error in a PI controlled system with a parabolic input. However, it can be minimized by properly tuning the controller parameters, such as the proportional gain and integral gain.

4. What factors can affect the steady state error in a PI controlled system with a parabolic input?

The steady state error in a PI controlled system with a parabolic input can be affected by various factors, including the controller gain values, the system's dynamics, and the reference input signal. Additionally, any disturbances or noise in the system can also contribute to the steady state error.

5. How does the integral term in a PI controller help to reduce the steady state error in a system with a parabolic input?

The integral term in a PI controller helps to reduce the steady state error by continuously adjusting the control signal based on the accumulated error over time. This ensures that the system is able to track the reference input accurately, even in the presence of disturbances or changes in the system's dynamics.