How was work? I'm glad you asked.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: I shot in her neighbor's corner and came up with 220.08 ft. She said that the corner to her property, not shared with neighbor, had been washed away in a storm, but she could tell by looking at her back corner exactly where her corner should be. She dug a little hole and chugged her beer and half buried the can where I was to take my final shot. I took the shot and found that she had been pretty close in her guess. her lot which should have been 222 ft was really 222.9 ft. When I told her this answer she said but really this lot should be on a diagonal so the corner should be right here. She moved the beer can to a new
tribdog
Today I took the GPS and headed out of town for work. On the other side of one of the big indian reservations is a slowly developing area. I had to shoot in some monuments and property corners. I was walking down the road when a lady came up to me and told me that her neighbor is stealing her land. She said her neighbor sneaks out at night and moves her property corner little by little. She figures that she's lost about 4 feet over the years. I told her it would cost about $750-1000 for me to come out and put her property corners where they are supposed to be. She said she just wanted to see how much land she had lost and didn't need the full blown treatment. I was shooting in the property corners anyway so I told her for $50 I'd shoot in her neighbors two front corners and her two front and tell her how wide both of the lots were. She ran into the house, grabbed $50 and some paperwork she had downloaded. She showed me that her neighbors lot should be 220 ft wide and her's should be 222 ft wide. I shot in the neighbor's first and came up with 220.08 ft. then the lady said that the corner to her property, not shared with neighbor, had been washed away in a storm, but she could tell by looking at her back corner exactly where her corner should be. She dug a little hole and chugged her beer and half buried the can where I was to take my final shot. I took the shot and found that she had been pretty close in her guess. her lot which should have been 222 ft was really 222.9 ft. When I told her this answer she said but really this lot should be on a diagonal so the corner should be right here. She moved the beer can to a new spot. I shot in her new corner and lo and behold now her lot was 218 ft wide. 4 ft short just like she said. She was very happy then and asked me to please put something in writing for her. So I drew, in pencil, on the back of a piece of scrap paper, 3 dots in a line. I wrote the horizontal distance from this rebar to this rebar is 220.08 ft and the horizontal distance from this rebar to the beer can is 218 ft.
I gave it to her and she was happy as could be and I was $50 richer.

Physics news on Phys.org
So did you properly submit a 4 mil mylar copy of that map to the county recorder?

I should, shouldn't I

:rofl: I wonder if she plans on taking her neighbor to court with a survey map drawn on a scrap of paper, in pencil, and a beer can for a marker?

Funny it would be...

What I found most interesting was that, upon hearing the first number for her property and knowing exactly how far she needed the can moved, she was still excited and felt vindicated when the second number was the one she wanted. She needed 4 feet, she moved the can 4 feet, and was satisfied that this proved she had been right all along.

tribdog said:
What I found most interesting was that, upon hearing the first number for her property and knowing exactly how far she needed the can moved, she was still excited and felt vindicated when the second number was the one she wanted. She needed 4 feet, she moved the can 4 feet, and was satisfied that this proved she had been right all along.

And it didn't phase her a bit that the neighbor's property marker was exactly the right place, not 4 feet too long. Maybe it's her other neighbor she needs to be worrying about. :rofl:

Her poor neighbor came outside while we were out there and tried to do some work in her garden. My lady started muttering, "look at her. She's a nosy, troublemaker.

tribdog said:
Her poor neighbor came outside while we were out there and tried to do some work in her garden. My lady started muttering, "look at her. She's a nosy, troublemaker.

Just how many other cans of beer did she have out there? How early in the day was this?

Did she have a neighbor on the beer can side? If so, it was quite nice of her to donate 4 feet to them! Probably makes it worth putting up with her as a neighbor. 220 feet seems too close to live to someone like that.

This story is priceless
only in america

like you don't have crazy drunks in Canada! I've been there.

tribdog said:
like you don't have crazy drunks in Canada! I've been there.

But in Canada, they're all that way, so they don't stand out as much. :rofl:

Drunks? Yes, but people who sneak out at night and slowly steal their neighbours property at a rate of 4 feet per year... not yet at least

Moonbear: Also true.

I have relatives there. They've got em.

Smurf said:
Drunks? Yes, but people who sneak out at night and slowly steal their neighbours property at a rate of 4 feet per year... not yet at least

But, nobody was stealing property, that was the point. When she heard the number that said she was wrong, she moved her beer can!

Suuuure, that's what HE wants you to believe. Come on, who are you going to believe? Tribdog? or some crazy woman in backwood Arizona, think about it. :biggrin:

Edit: Yes, made it to page 2!

Smurf said:
Suuuure, that's what HE wants you to believe. Come on, who are you going to believe? Tribdog? or some crazy woman in backwood Arizona, think about it. :biggrin:

I thought tribdog was a crazy woman in backwood arizona? I'm so confused...

Smurf said:

Not if you have it set for 20 posts per page like I do. Keep trying. :biggrin:

haha. That one made me giggle.

Page 2 Is Mine!

Moonbear said:
Not if you have it set for 20 posts per page like I do. Keep trying. :biggrin:
No, you got post 20, which means your #20 on the first page,
Me = 21
Page 2 is MINE!

Wait no, this is page 2. Haha, moonbear, nice try to thwart me there. :tongue2:

edit: NOOOOO! SMURF BEAT ME TOO IT!

Oh well, I'm over it.

Which one?

Muhahahahaha, foiled again by the masterfull SMURF!

Smurf wins! Post #21. You guys are FAST typers! If you want to get the ladies, you need to learn to slow down and take your time a bit. :biggrin:

120 words per minute, do I make you randy baby?

no, but if I typed 120 words per minute I wouldn't make you randy baby. I'd probably make randy arndy or rnady a lot. baby would be bayb. you would usually be you since it is an easy word.

120 sexual innuendos per minute. Do I make you randy baby?

tribdog said:
no, but if I typed 120 words per minute I wouldn't make you randy baby. I'd probably make randy arndy or rnady a lot. baby would be bayb. you would usually be you since it is an easy word.

That's okay, you can take your time, let your fingers linger in one spot a while. The youngsters just don't get it yet. :biggrin:

This is getting very discriptive and therefor, making me slightly uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
That's okay, you can take your time, let your fingers linger in one spot a while. The youngsters just don't get it yet. :biggrin:

That hurts moonbear. Words are weapons, you remember that!

franznietzsche said:
That hurts moonbear. Words are weapons, you remember that!

What? I was just trying to make tribdog feel better about his slow typing. o:) You know how sensitive he can get about these things. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
that's so true. Once I came to the realization that sex is better when both people enjoy themselves my life changed. I was SOOO horrible in my youth, but as I've aged and matured I've become SOOO good that I can't believe I was ever as bad as I was.

tribdog said:
that's so true. Once I came to the realization that sex is better when both people enjoy themselves my life changed. I was SOOO horrible in my youth, but as I've aged and matured I've become SOOO good that I can't believe I was ever as bad as I was.

Aww, tribdog, I so admire your modesty.

But, yeah, if you don't learn to slow down, you end up having to type 60 wpm one-handed.

Moonbear said:
Aww, tribdog, I so admire your modesty.

But, yeah, if you don't learn to slow down, you end up having to type 60 wpm one-handed.
If you've read everything I've written you'd see that I'm pretty self-depricating. I'll admit when I make mistakes and if I'm not good at something. Does that make you wonder whether or not I simply pick my sexual prowess as the thing I exaggerate, or if I'm being truthful in that area as well?