Which solution is correct?

• Thread starter pantheid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using negative mass in conservation of momentum and energy equations. It is noted that trying to apply this concept in a non-real scenario will result in meaningless answers. The Wikipedia page for negative mass is mentioned and the possibility of conducting an experiment to test this idea is discussed. Additionally, it is mentioned that negative mass is not commonly used in Newtonian mechanics and may predict unobserved phenomena. The suggestion to research other topics is given.
pantheid
I'm trying to plug in negative mass into conservation of momentum and energy equations. I want to see what would happen if a -1kg ball traveling at 1m/s smacks into a 2kg ball in an elastic collision. If the second ball is 1kg, then it remains stationary while the negative ball continues to travel at 1m/s, like they didn't even interact. If its 2kg, I get 2 answers for the speed of the positive ball, zero and negative two. How do I know which is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you try to apply Maths to a non real problem then you will not get an answer that has no meaning in the real world. Your Maths will give you a correct Mathematical answer if you make all the steps correctly but, as with Computers, GIGO.

I believe there is a proof that Newtonian mechanics hold for negative masses. It can be found on the wikipedia page for negative mass, so technically its not garbage.

The best way to find out is with an experiment, but that is not an option. I have never heard of negative mass being used in Newtonian Mechanics, and most of the time when negative mass comes up in other areas of physics, it predicts things that have never been observed. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but you might be better off researching different topics.

I would suggest taking a step back and examining the concept of negative mass. Negative mass is a hypothetical concept that has not been observed or proven to exist in our universe. Therefore, attempting to plug it into equations and predict its behavior may not yield accurate or meaningful results.

In the scenario described, it is important to consider the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. In an elastic collision, the total momentum and total energy of the system should remain constant. If a negative mass is introduced, it may violate these principles and the results may not be reliable.

Additionally, the concept of negative mass raises many questions and challenges in terms of its physical properties and interactions with other objects. It is not clear how a negative mass would behave in a collision with a positive mass, and attempting to predict its behavior may not be possible at this point.

In conclusion, while the idea of negative mass may be intriguing, it is important to approach it with caution and recognize its limitations in our current understanding of physics. Further research and experimentation may be needed to better understand this concept and its potential implications.

1. What is the scientific method and how does it help determine the correct solution?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem-solving that involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis through experimentation, and drawing conclusions based on the results. This method helps scientists determine the correct solution by providing a logical and objective framework for evaluating and refining potential solutions.

2. Why is it important to consider multiple solutions to a problem?

Considering multiple solutions to a problem is important because it allows for a more thorough examination of potential solutions, increasing the likelihood of finding the correct one. It also helps to avoid bias and encourages critical thinking and creativity.

3. How do scientists determine which solution is the most accurate or effective?

Scientists determine the accuracy or effectiveness of a solution by conducting experiments and analyzing the results. They compare the results of different solutions and use statistical analysis to determine which one is the most accurate or effective.

4. Is there always a clear "correct" solution in science?

In most cases, there is not a single "correct" solution in science. The nature of scientific inquiry and the complexity of many problems make it difficult to determine a single, definitive solution. Instead, scientists often aim to find the most accurate or effective solution based on available evidence.

5. How do scientists deal with conflicting or inconclusive results when determining the correct solution?

When conflicting or inconclusive results occur, scientists must carefully analyze and interpret the data to determine the most likely solution. They may also repeat experiments or conduct further research to gather more evidence and clarify any discrepancies. It is also important for scientists to acknowledge and consider alternative explanations for conflicting results.