Method O' Joints, question about the Method itself, semi-

In summary: This means that the other end is pushing back, with a compressive force of -10,000 N. In summary, the sign (-) represents the compressive nature of the force and should be included when substituting into equations.
blargonaut
Method O' Joints, question about the Method itself, semi-urgent!

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, my first post! :D This is more of a general question about the method rather than a specific example.

I have a problem with substitution while I'm doing the method of joints for a loaded truss thing; for example, I get this as my answer for one the forces on one of the beams:

Force (from point A to point B) = -10000 N

Assumptions/Sign Convention, etc.:
I originally assumed all forces are going away from the joint (in this case, point A).
I considered all forces going away from point A as tensile (positive, +).
I considered all forces going towards point A as compressive (negative, -).
So, since I got -10000 N, it is compressive (-) and not tensile as I originally assumed?

Now I have, for example, another equation which wants me to substitute this value into it, to find the force on another beam of the truss.

My main question is, when substituting this force in, do I include the minus (-) sign in, so therefore I sub in -10000,

or do I disregard the minus sign's existence, and sub in +10000?

Does the minus (-) just represent the compressive nature of the force, or does it have an effect on my equation/subbing/thingy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure which way to go?...

Physics news on Phys.org

blargonaut said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, my first post! :D This is more of a general question about the method rather than a specific example.

I have a problem with substitution while I'm doing the method of joints for a loaded truss thing; for example, I get this as my answer for one the forces on one of the beams:

Force (from point A to point B) = -10000 N

Assumptions/Sign Convention, etc.:
I originally assumed all forces are going away from the joint (in this case, point A).
I considered all forces going away from point A as tensile (positive, +).
I considered all forces going towards point A as compressive (negative, -).
So, since I got -10000 N, it is compressive (-) and not tensile as I originally assumed?

Now I have, for example, another equation which wants me to substitute this value into it, to find the force on another beam of the truss.

My main question is, when substituting this force in, do I include the minus (-) sign in, so therefore I sub in -10000,

or do I disregard the minus sign's existence, and sub in +10000?

Does the minus (-) just represent the compressive nature of the force, or does it have an effect on my equation/subbing/thingy?

I'm not sure which way to go?...
Hello blargonaut. Welcome to PF !

To answer your first question, Follow your sign convention. If you are using negative for compressive force, and the answer is negative, then the force on that beam is compressive.

If the force is compressive at one end of the beam, then it must be compressive at the other end.

1. What is the Method O' Joints and how does it work?

The Method O' Joints is a scientific method used for analyzing and understanding the structural integrity of joints in various materials. It involves conducting experiments and using mathematical equations to determine the strength and behavior of joints under different conditions.

2. What is the difference between Method O' Joints and other methods of joint analysis?

The Method O' Joints is unique in that it takes into consideration the semi-rigid behavior of joints, which is often overlooked in other methods. This allows for a more accurate understanding of joint behavior and can lead to more precise and efficient structural designs.

3. How is the Method O' Joints used in real-world applications?

The Method O' Joints is commonly used by engineers and scientists in various industries, such as construction, aerospace, and automotive, to design and analyze joint structures. It can also be used for failure analysis and to improve the overall safety and durability of structures.

4. Can the Method O' Joints be used for all types of joints?

The Method O' Joints is applicable to a wide range of joint types, including bolted, welded, and adhesive joints. However, the specific equations and experiments used may vary depending on the type of joint being analyzed.

5. Is the Method O' Joints a reliable method for predicting joint behavior?

Yes, the Method O' Joints has been extensively studied and validated through experimental testing and comparison with other analytical methods. It is considered a reliable and accurate method for predicting the behavior of joints in various materials and conditions.