Help with Giant Hersey Kiss problem

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
In summary, the two methods for calculating the volume of a Hershey Kiss are the easy and tedious methods. The easy method is to fill a device used for measuring liquid volumes with enough water to cover the kiss, and then carefully place the kiss underwater, measuring the difference in volume. The tedious method is to place the kiss in front of graph paper and mark as many points as you want. The kiss is a surface of revolution and you just find the areas of the trapezoids and rotate them.
QuantumTheory
Nice to be back folks! I have a problem once again.. I'm not sure how to approach this one.

Have you been to the store lately? Surely you know what Hersheys kisses are! They are chocolate candies. Well, there is a GIANT hersey kiss verison available, its about 3x or so big as a normal hershey kiss. I want to figure out the total volume of one of these, but I don't know how to get the measurements needed for it.

How do I start?

(PS: I know how to integrate, etc, I just can't figure out what to measure to start integrating!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Two methods:
The easy method is to fill a device used for measuring liquid volumes with enough water to cover the kiss, and then carefully place the kiss underwater, measuring the difference in volume.
The tedious method is to place the kiss in front of graph paper and mark as many points as you want. The kiss is a surface of revolution and you just find the areas of the trapezoids and rotate them.

The easy method is to fill a device used for measuring liquid volumes with enough water to cover the kiss, and then carefully place the kiss underwater

I think there are laws against such abuses of chocolate...

hypermorphism said:
Two methods:
The easy method is to fill a device used for measuring liquid volumes with enough water to cover the kiss, and then carefully place the kiss underwater, measuring the difference in volume.
The tedious method is to place the kiss in front of graph paper and mark as many points as you want. The kiss is a surface of revolution and you just find the areas of the trapezoids and rotate them.

Thank you. I will try the first method, however..when it comes to real life applications, I have trouble remembering exactly what to do. I know how to do the math, but to PUT it into equations, is another question. First, how do I find the family of anti-deriviatives of the curve as the slope curves down the y-axis starting at the point C, where C is some unknown constant and the upper part of the kiss should be in the form:
[tex]f(x) = x^2 + C[/tex] until the slope of the kiss is constant, ie 0.

What exactly do I use to calcululate the area? Do I measure the diameter, then express it in terms of [tex]pi[/tex]?

I saw complicated forumlas but i don't know if this was posted,

you could melt the giant chocolate down and using a measuring cylinder ...

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know the volume of a Hershey Kiss?

What is a "Giant Hersey Kiss"?

A Giant Hersey Kiss is a large version of the popular Hershey's chocolate candy, shaped like a giant kiss.

What is the problem with Giant Hersey Kisses?

The problem with Giant Hersey Kisses is that they are difficult to melt evenly due to their size, resulting in a clumpy and unappealing texture.

Why is this a problem?

This is a problem because a smooth and consistent texture is a desirable quality in chocolate, and the clumpy texture of melted Giant Hersey Kisses can be unappetizing.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Yes, there are a few potential solutions to this problem. One option is to chop the Giant Hersey Kiss into smaller pieces before melting, which can help it melt more evenly. Another solution is to use a double boiler or a microwave with a low power setting to melt the chocolate slowly and prevent clumping.

Can this problem be prevented?

While it may be difficult to completely prevent this problem, some steps can be taken to reduce the likelihood of clumping when melting Giant Hersey Kisses. These include using a lower heat setting, stirring frequently, and breaking the chocolate into smaller pieces before melting. Additionally, using high-quality chocolate with a higher cocoa butter content may also help prevent clumping.