A mechanics problem involving a large gear and a small gear

In summary, the larger gear with a radius of 1m and mass of 2kg is about to mesh with the smaller stationary gear with a radius of 0.5m and mass of 1kg. The speed of a point on the larger gear's circumference is 50m/s at the instant of meshing. Neglecting friction, the angular velocity in radians per second of the larger gear after engagement can be found using conservation of angular momentum or energy. There are 5 possible answers (80, 40, 39, 20, 10) and the correct answer is most likely 40.
ajgs

Homework Statement

in the system of gears the larger gear of radius 1m and mass of 2kg is about to mesh with the smaller stationary gear of radius 0.5m and mass 1kg at the instant of meshing the speed of a point on the circumference of the larger gear is 50m/s both gears are free from the moment of meshing.
neglecting friction what is the angular velocity in radians per seconds of the larger gear after engagement.

(there are no teeth on the gears, clockwise rotation is taken positive)

Homework Equations

there are 5 possible answers (80,40,39,20,10) i think it is 40

The Attempt at a Solution

i think that you need to use conservation of angular momentum or energy
Iω= angular moment (I is inertia)

ke=1/2 Iω^2

Physics news on Phys.org
ajgs said:

Homework Statement

in the system of gears the larger gear of radius 1m and mass of 2kg is about to mesh with the smaller stationary gear of radius 0.5m and mass 1kg at the instant of meshing the speed of a point on the circumference of the larger gear is 50m/s both gears are free from the moment of meshing.
neglecting friction what is the angular velocity in radians per seconds of the larger gear after engagement.

(there are no teeth on the gears, clockwise rotation is taken positive)

Homework Equations

there are 5 possible answers (80,40,39,20,10) i think it is 40

The Attempt at a Solution

i think that you need to use conservation of angular momentum or energy
Iω= angular moment (I is inertia)

ke=1/2 Iω^2

A guess is not an attempt. Can you justify your guess with some calculations?

1. How do you determine the gear ratio between a large gear and a small gear?

The gear ratio is determined by dividing the number of teeth on the larger gear by the number of teeth on the smaller gear.

2. What is the purpose of a gear train?

A gear train is used to transfer power and torque from one gear to another, often to change the speed or direction of rotation.

3. How does the size of the gears affect the torque and speed of rotation?

The size of the gears plays a crucial role in determining the torque and speed of rotation. A larger gear will have more teeth and therefore transfer more torque, but at a slower speed. A smaller gear will have fewer teeth and transfer less torque, but at a faster speed.

4. What is the difference between a spur gear and a helical gear?

A spur gear has straight teeth and is used for parallel shafts, while a helical gear has angled teeth and is used for perpendicular shafts. Helical gears also provide smoother and quieter operation.

5. How do you calculate the force exerted on a gear by the teeth of another gear?

The force exerted on a gear by the teeth of another gear can be calculated by multiplying the pressure angle (a measure of the angle of the teeth) by the force applied to the gear. This will give the tangential force on the gear, which can then be used to calculate the overall force exerted on the gear.