Calculating Acceleration: Understanding Horizontal Forces on a 3kg Mass

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date
In summary, a 3kg mass is being acted upon by two horizontal forces: 9.0 N due east and 8.0 N at 62 degrees north of west. The magnitude of the body's acceleration is 2.9 m/s^2. However, the solution in the book is 1.74808 m/s^2, which is missing the northward component of the second force. The book's answer is correct and can be found by using trigonometry to add the two force vectors.
RadiationX
only two horozontal forces act on a 3kg mass. one force is 9.0 N acting due east, and the other is 8.0 N acting 62 degrees north of west. what is the magintude of the body's acceleration.

The answer in the book is 2.9 m/s^2. but how can this be?

shouldn't the solution be (9 + 8cos(118))/3 = 1.74808 m/s^2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
you are missing a component of the force

Sure you got that first part right but you're missing the fact that there is ANOTHER COMPONENT of force being appleid on this object. You decomposed that 8N force in 8cos 62 and 8sin62 what hapopened to the 8sin62?

What about the northward component of the second force?

The book's answer is correct.

damn is all i can say

You can deal with x and y components separately as you did, or you can use trigonometry to add the two force vectors.

"i can't be this dumb. can i? "

Don't ask questions like that! You might not like the answers!

What does it mean when someone says "I can't be this dumb"?

When someone says "I can't be this dumb," they are expressing disbelief or frustration at their perceived lack of intelligence or understanding. It can also be interpreted as self-deprecation or a form of humor.

Can intelligence be measured accurately?

Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept that cannot be accurately measured by a single test or metric. While IQ tests and other assessments can provide some insight, they do not capture the entirety of a person's intelligence and should not be used as the sole measure of one's intelligence.

Is being "dumb" a permanent state?

No, being "dumb" is not a permanent state. Intelligence is not fixed and can change over time through learning, experiences, and personal growth. It is important to recognize that intelligence comes in many forms and should not be reduced to a single label such as "dumb."

Why do people feel the need to label themselves as "dumb"?

People may label themselves as "dumb" due to societal pressures and expectations, past experiences or failures, or low self-esteem. It is important to challenge these negative labels and recognize that intelligence is not a fixed trait.

What can I do if I feel "dumb"?

If you are feeling like you are not as intelligent as you would like to be, there are steps you can take to improve your understanding and confidence. This can include seeking out new learning opportunities, surrounding yourself with supportive and encouraging people, and practicing self-acceptance and self-compassion.