Planning a Viking Funeral for a Friend in Manchester

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches upon the topic of a Viking style funeral, where a burning corpse is sent floating down a canal in a longboat or wooden dinghy. The legality and logistics of this type of funeral are discussed, with concerns raised about permits, health and fire regulations, and pollution. Alternatives such as a legal cremation and scattering of ashes are also suggested. The conversation also delves into the historical accuracy of this type of funeral, with some participants pointing out that it may have been more common among Saxons rather than Vikings. Overall, there is a mix of opinions and knowledge on the subject, with some participants offering personal experiences and others sharing cultural and historical information.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know any reason why my friend should not be able to have a Viking style funeral, where his burning corpse is sent floating down the Manchester Ship Canal in a Viking longboat (failing that, a wooden dinghy)?

Science news on Phys.org
Don't know what British law is like in that regard. Here, you'd need permits up the wazoo. If you just went ahead and did it, they'd get you for performing an indignity to a corpse, improper disposal of a corpse, fire regulation violations, probably some health board issues unless you can prove that nothing of him remains in circulation, water pollution and/or littering, and probably air pollution from the combustion. I would recommend making a big deal out of recreating a longboat as some sort of cultural history project, pull your plan off very quickly, and report it as an accidental fire (too late for the fire department, of course). The problem then would be, what if someone wants to know what happened to the body. I know that there is a minimum required temperature for a legal crematorium (around 1,500 degrees C., I think). Would he be satisfied with a legal cremation and having his ashes carried, perhaps in a torch, down the river?

Why not the Mersey?

Why not the Mersey?

lol your right..not a soul would notice.

brewnog said:
Does anyone know any reason why my friend should not be able to have a Viking style funeral, where his burning corpse is sent floating down the Manchester Ship Canal in a Viking longboat (failing that, a wooden dinghy)?
Eeh, what sort of Viking funeral is this supposed to be?
They sure didn't do anything like this here in Norway..

Astronuc said:
Why not the Mersey?

The bit he wants to be dropped in is the confluence of the Ship Canal and the Mersey.

arildno said:
Eeh, what sort of Viking funeral is this supposed to be?
They sure didn't do anything like this here in Norway..

Fantastic, a resident Viking. Perhaps you'd be willing to advise on longboat design?

brewnog said:
Fantastic, a resident Viking. Perhaps you'd be willing to advise on longboat design?
Hey, I did study fluid mechanics, but don't ever make the mistake of letting me design or (god forbid!) steer a boat, if you're planning to make a trip in that boat.
I'm just saying this out of concern for your own welfare.

Hey, Brewnog, check this out in the neighborhood - http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/getinvolved/festival.htm

They even burned a viking longboat. :biggrin:
http://www.cybaea.com/pictures/pcd2742/JVF14-28.91.2.jpg

arildno - maybe this is a british viking thing. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the ship burial mounds we've excavated in Norway shows no sign of burnt timbers, or that the bodies were burnt (at least, I never learned that tid-bit in school)
Nor can I recall any source material, like Snorri or Icelandic sagas which mention making a pyre out of a long-boat.

But, as I write this, I seem to recall that this custom was present among Saxons; I wonder if the body in the Sutton Hoo find was burnt?.

Here is a link to ancient burial customs I found:
http://tanwayour.calafia.org/burial.html

It seems that Anglo-Saxons were keen on the cremation business, but, somewhat surprising to me, the ancient norse cremation technique seems to have persisted into the Viking era (I've always thought the cremation in Scandinavia ended sometime 400-600 AD, but evidently, I'm wrong here).
I only scanned the article, but couldn't find a direct quote supporting the use of longboats as a pyre among Vikings.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, it was the 'viking' burial was used for chieftains or the highest warriors.

And I do not think a long boat was used, unless it had been damaged (as in battle) beyond reasonable repair.

I think they would have used smaller boats (like a dingy). I cannot imagine anyone trashing a longboat, as they were too valuable.

It seems that Anglo-Saxons were keen on the cremation business,
See what contact with the Brits did! :biggrin:

Actually, the Oseberg ship was most probably a ceremonial ship which never did any raids.
It may well have been specifically built during the Asa-queen's reign to be her burial ship.

The Gokstad ship was a typical raiding ship in its design ; a veteran who had made his fortune on the seas might well want to be buried in his old "flagship", which at the time of his death would have required such a major overhaul in order to be sea-worthy again that the next generation would rather spend their money on a brand new ship, instead of re-fitting their Daddy's old ship.

Last edited:
arildno said:
The Gokstad ship was a typical raiding ship in its design ; a veteran who had made his fortune on the seas might well want to be buried in his old "flagship", which at the time of his death would have required such a major overhaul in order to be sea-worthy again that the next generation would rather spend their money on a brand new ship, rather than their Daddy's old ship.
Good point. Presumably it is the leader/captain of the ship. His crew would get the normal burial.

Great link by the way on the burial customs.

I definitely want to be cremated in the end.

1. What is a Viking funeral?

A Viking funeral is a traditional funeral ceremony that involves setting a deceased person's body on a ship or boat, and then burning it as a final farewell. This practice dates back to the Viking Age and is primarily associated with Norse mythology and culture.

2. Is it legal to have a Viking funeral in Manchester?

It is not legal to have a traditional Viking funeral in Manchester or any other part of the UK. The Environmental Protection Act of 1990 prohibits open-air cremations, including the burning of bodies on a boat or ship. However, there are alternative options available that can still incorporate Viking elements into the funeral ceremony.

3. How can I plan a Viking funeral for my friend in Manchester?

As mentioned before, a traditional Viking funeral is not legal in Manchester. However, you can still plan a ceremony that incorporates elements of a Viking funeral. This can include a boat ride on a lake or river, a eulogy that honors your friend's life and achievements, and a bonfire or pyre to symbolize the burning of the ship and the release of their spirit.

4. Are there any alternative options for a Viking funeral in Manchester?

Yes, there are alternative options available for a Viking funeral in Manchester, such as a cremation with a Viking-themed urn or a burial with a Viking-style gravestone. You can also work with a funeral director who specializes in alternative funerals to create a unique and personalized ceremony that reflects your friend's wishes and beliefs.

5. How much does it cost to plan a Viking funeral in Manchester?

The cost of planning a Viking funeral in Manchester will vary depending on the specific elements you choose and the funeral service provider you work with. However, it is important to keep in mind that alternative funerals tend to be more expensive than traditional ones. It is best to discuss your budget and options with a funeral director to determine the cost for your friend's Viking funeral.