Hockey Slap Shot ExperimentHelp?

• Thread starter Shoap153
  • Start date
In summary, a forum member is seeking advice on how to replicate the force of a slap shot for a hockey pad they are working on. They have a velocity and puck density, but are struggling with the finer details and looking for a way to test their design without taking professional shots. It is advised to use a projectile with similar mass and motion to a hockey puck for accurate results.
Shoap153
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and not extremely versed in physics, so to speak. So, I figured this would be a good place to turn for help.

I'm trying to come up with a simple way to replicate the force of a slap shot for proof of concept of a hockey pad I'm working on, initially I assumed I could just drop a bowling ball (or something sufficiently heavy) from a specific height and call it a day, but I am having some trouble figuring out the fine details.

The information I have now is that the slap shot I am attempting to replicate is:
  • Velocity: 90 mph or 40 m/s
  • Puck Density: 165g
  • Force Being Replicated: 6600 N

I'm not sure how much more information is necessary, as I stated earlier I am not the best with physics and such, hence my post.

Essentially, I need to find a way to prove that my design is sufficiently resistant to high impact (more precisely, a professional slap shot) without taking my clients out to an ice rink and having a professional hockey player take shots at me.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a method of testing a hocky pad then it would be best to use a projectile that is physically very similar to a hockey puck. The effect of a projectile will sometimes depend upon Kinetic Energy and sometimes on Momentum. Both are 'to do with' mass and motion but you could draw some flawed conclusions if you were to use something with a very different mass.

1. What is a hockey slap shot experiment?

A hockey slap shot experiment is a controlled scientific investigation that examines the mechanics and factors involved in performing a successful slap shot in the sport of hockey. It typically involves testing various variables such as stick angle, force, and puck speed to determine the optimal technique for achieving a powerful and accurate shot.

2. Why is it important to conduct a hockey slap shot experiment?

Conducting a hockey slap shot experiment can provide valuable insights and data for players, coaches, and researchers to improve their understanding of the sport and enhance performance. The results of the experiment can also inform training and coaching methods, equipment design, and injury prevention strategies.

3. What equipment is needed for a hockey slap shot experiment?

The equipment required for a hockey slap shot experiment typically includes a hockey stick, puck, radar gun or speed tracking device, and a goal or target to shoot at. Additional equipment such as video cameras, force plates, and motion sensors may also be used for more advanced experiments.

4. How do you set up a hockey slap shot experiment?

The first step in setting up a hockey slap shot experiment is to identify the research question or hypothesis to be tested. Next, the researcher should establish a controlled environment and design the experiment to manipulate and measure the variables of interest. This may involve setting up a shooting station, calibrating equipment, and recruiting participants. Finally, the researcher should collect and analyze data to draw conclusions.

5. What are some potential limitations of a hockey slap shot experiment?

Some potential limitations of a hockey slap shot experiment include the difficulty in replicating real-game situations, individual differences in player technique and skill level, and the influence of external factors such as ice conditions and fatigue. Additionally, the results of a single experiment may not be generalizable to all players and may require further research and replication to draw accurate conclusions.