Can Humans Survive Acceleration from 100 to 7000 mph in Seconds?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of a human surviving acceleration from 100 to 7000 mph in a short period of time. The speaker notes that this would require a very high acceleration rate, and questions whether it is possible for a human to withstand such forces. They mention previous experiments and records, but note that the key factor is how evenly the forces are applied to the body. They also mention the role of special suits and training in withstanding acceleration.
Dr Von Braun
Hi, all. I'm trying to ascertain whether it is remotely possible for a human being to survive acceleration from 100 to 7000 mph (essentially, from 0 to Mach 10) in say 5 seconds? 10 even? Assume the mass that of an ordinary man, and perhaps a co-pilot, the vehicle probably a prototype of modern stealth. I think not. And, if this be so, what technical problems stand in the way? (Assume vertical or horizontal acceleration at sea level.) I don't know how many Gs this would produce, but the record seems to be 46. And that bloke wasn't even flying (well, almost) at Mach-1.

I am not a technical person, just doing some research for a book, so please excuse me. Any irrelevance is not meant as irreverence.

Cheers,

VB

Physics news on Phys.org
Aside of the rocket sled experiments that you probablly know about, there was a sr-71 pilot who survived a plane breakup at mach3. Not sure what the acell. due to air resistance was there.

The key factor here is not how much acceleration the body expieriences, but how evenly the forces are applied to the body. If you put a human into an indestructible water tank, he will survive much greater accelerations. So it is difficult to name a definitive limit.

With special suits and training, pilots can withstand 9-g accelerations, but I am unable to say for what duration.

If you wanted to accelerate from 100 to 7000 mph at 9g acceleration, it would take approx. 35 sec. to do so.

delta V = 7000 - 100 = 6900 mi/hr * 5280 ft/mi / 3600 s/hr = 10,120 ft/s

delta t = 10120 / (9*32.2) = 34.92 s

SteamKing, the limits you mention are for not blacking out, not mere surviving. Also, the direction relative to your body and body position play a role here.

Hello VB,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your curiosity about the limits of human acceleration. To answer your question, it is highly unlikely for a human being to survive acceleration from 100 to 7000 mph in 5 seconds, or even 10 seconds. This level of acceleration would generate an immense amount of force on the human body, far beyond what it is capable of withstanding.

The main technical problem that stands in the way of achieving such extreme acceleration is the limitations of human physiology. Our bodies are not designed to withstand such high levels of acceleration, and the forces involved would cause serious injury or even death. The current record for G-force endured by a human is 46, and this was only for a brief moment during a controlled experiment. The individual was also wearing a special suit to help protect their body from the extreme forces.

In order to survive acceleration to Mach 10, a human would need to be protected by advanced technology such as a G-suit, specialized training, and possibly even a specially designed spacecraft. Even with these measures, it is still highly unlikely for a human to survive such extreme acceleration.

I hope this information helps in your research for your book. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is the maximum acceleration that a human can withstand?

The maximum acceleration that a human can withstand varies depending on the direction of the acceleration, the duration of the acceleration, and the individual's physical condition. However, on average, a human can withstand an acceleration of up to 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) or 1 g (gravity) for a short period of time.

2. Can humans accelerate faster than 1 g?

Yes, humans can accelerate faster than 1 g for short periods of time, but it is not sustainable for long periods as it can lead to serious injuries or even death. For example, during a roller coaster ride, humans may experience accelerations of up to 2-3 g, but this is only for a brief moment.

3. What factors affect a human's limit of acceleration?

There are several factors that can affect a human's limit of acceleration, including their physical condition, age, and size. Additionally, the direction and duration of the acceleration, as well as the individual's position and posture, can also play a role in determining their limit of acceleration.

4. Can training increase a human's limit of acceleration?

Yes, regular training and physical conditioning can improve a human's ability to withstand higher accelerations. Athletes and astronauts, for example, undergo specialized training to increase their tolerance for higher accelerations.

5. What are the potential dangers of exceeding the limit of human acceleration?

Exceeding the limit of human acceleration can lead to serious injuries or even death. It can cause organ damage, blood vessel rupture, and other physical harm. Prolonged exposure to high accelerations can also lead to motion sickness, disorientation, and loss of consciousness.