Integration of an infinite product

In summary, the conversation is about resolving an infinite product integral with the variable x, and the suggestion of integrating by parts. However, there is difficulty in finding a general formula for the coefficients. The conversation ends with a request for other ideas.
ecpietscheck
Hey guys, what sup
I need you all to help me in resolving the integral of an infinite product...
i was thinking of perhaps integrating by parts, but when yo do that the integration becomes brutally expansive...
any ideas?
thank you all very much

the variable which is aimed to be integrated is x btw...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 6.01.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 6.01.37 PM.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote down a finite product. Do you in fact want ##\int \prod_{m=1}^\infty (x^2 + m) \, dx##?

for example

(x*x+1)*(x*x+2)*(x*x+3)*(x*x+4) = x^8 + a*x^6 + b*x^4 + c*x^2 + 1*2*3*4

1*2*3*4 = 4!

(x*x+1)*(x*x+2)*(x*x+3)*(x*x+4) = x^8 + 10x^6 + 35x^4 + 50x^2 + 24

Each member must be integrated.

∫ x^8 + 10x^6 + 35x^4 + 50x^2 + 24 dx =

= x^9/9 + 10x^7/7 + 7x^5 +50x^3/3 +24x + C

kamke

kamke said:
(x*x+1)*(x*x+2)*(x*x+3)*(x*x+4) = x^8 + 10x^6 + 35x^4 + 50x^2 + 24

Each member must be integrated.
The problem is to get a general formula for those coefficients.

Basically ##\displaystyle \sum_{i,j,...=1, i<j<...}^n i*j*k*...## with 0 to n indices in the sum.
The second sum, for example, sums 1*2+1*3*...+1*n + 2*3+2*4+...+2*n+...

MFB, that answer seems a bit unclear
perhaps any other ideas?

1. What is meant by an infinite product in integration?

An infinite product is a mathematical expression that contains an infinite number of terms, each multiplied together. In integration, an infinite product can represent a function that is being integrated over an infinite interval.

2. How do you integrate an infinite product?

The integration of an infinite product involves finding the antiderivative of each term in the product and then multiplying them together. This process can be simplified by using techniques such as partial fractions or integration by parts.

3. Can an infinite product be integrated over a finite interval?

Yes, an infinite product can be integrated over a finite interval if the terms in the product converge to a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. This is known as a convergent infinite product.

4. What is the difference between an infinite product and an infinite series?

An infinite product is the result of multiplying an infinite number of terms together, while an infinite series is the result of adding an infinite number of terms together. In integration, an infinite product is used to represent a function being integrated, while an infinite series is used to represent a function being approximated.

5. What are some applications of integrating infinite products?

Integrating infinite products has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of infinite series, complex analysis, and number theory. It also has applications in the evaluation of definite integrals and the calculation of infinite sums.