A deeper understanding of the imaginary number

In summary, a complex number is a number that has a real and imaginary part, represented as a + bi. The imaginary part is perpendicular to the real part and can be thought of as a two-dimensional vector. However, beyond this concept, the underlying meaning of imaginary numbers is not fully understood and it is unclear if there are any direct comparisons or analogies to other mathematical concepts.
TackyJan
I know what a complex number is. Learned it way back when I took college classes. I know it is a number that has a real and imaginary part of the form a + bi. What I have always failed to understand is what conceptually does it mean. I know what i is , it's the square root of -1. I just could never understand what it means to say that a number has a real and imaginary part. And that the imaginary part lies perpendicular to the real part. So an imaginary number seems like a two-dimensional vector . Beyond this however I fail to understand how imaginary number came to be and what its underlying meaning is.

Note, I accidentally put imaginary number on this post I tried to go back and rename the post but I could not figure out how to do it in Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. A complex number is one that has a real part and an imaginary part. Beyond that, I don't particularly understand the "nature" of complex numbers myself. The 2D vector concept only works up to a point.

For example, if we assume:

[tex]i + 1 = \hat{i}+\hat{j}
[/tex]

then let's square each side. Left:

[tex](i+1)^2 = i^2 + 2i +1 = 2i[/tex]

But what do we do for the right to analogize squaring a complex number for a vector? We could take a dot product and end up with 2. Is that comparable to 2i? Then 2i would be a scalar, not a vector with a 0 component. I don't know what would happen if we generalized this comparison or if any comparisons could be drawn. Is there an analogy to tensor ranking in imaginary numbers? Or are vectors and complex numbers just fundamentally different.

1. What is an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a number that, when squared, gives a negative result. It is represented by the letter "i" and is defined as the square root of -1.

2. How is an imaginary number used in mathematics?

Imaginary numbers are commonly used in complex number systems and are essential in solving equations that involve negative roots. They also play a crucial role in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Can imaginary numbers be visualized?

No, imaginary numbers cannot be visualized on a traditional number line. However, they can be represented graphically on a complex plane, with the real numbers on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers on the vertical axis.

4. What is the relationship between real and imaginary numbers?

Real numbers and imaginary numbers are both part of the complex number system. Real numbers are represented on the horizontal axis of a complex plane, and imaginary numbers are represented on the vertical axis. Together, they form a two-dimensional number system.

5. How are imaginary numbers used in real-life applications?

Imaginary numbers are used in various real-life applications, such as in the fields of electronics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in solving differential equations and modeling complex systems.