Smallest Difference in Wavelength the Human Eye Can Notice

In summary, the human eye can distinguish about 10 million different colors. It depends on the individual person how sensitive they are to different colors. The intensity of the colors also matters. If two colors are of similar intensity, the human eye can distinguish them.
valdo333
Hello - I'm having a difficult time finding this answer anywhere else on Physics Forums. I'm curious if anyone knows, or can figure out, the smallest difference in wavelength that the human eye can notice. For example: Can the human eye detect if a light changes from 568nm to 570nm?

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't really an answer for this. It depends strongly on the individual person. Some people can tell the difference between wavelengths very close together, while others, like my dad, are color blind to some extent and certain colors are much harder to tell apart than others. Even two "normal" people can have a large variance in their color perception.

The human eye can distinguish about 10 million different colors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

The perception of color is not confined solely to the eye: the brain plays a major role in determining what colors we 'see' in response to the stimulation of the retina.

Likes exponent137
I figured there wouldn't be a definite answer. Thanks for the help!

Also, the intensity matters in whether or not two colors can be distinguished. You want both to be of similar, moderate intensity.

You could pick two monochromatic colours a certain wavelength apart and calculate the ΔE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference) value for them, that would give you a good idea of how visible the difference between them would be.

From actual experience of red/orange colours around 600-650 nm, I'd estimate somewhere around 1-2 nm would be the smallest difference you would notice when viewed side-by-side (5 nm is easily visible). I have no idea for other colours, it could easily be very different.

If two areas of colour are touching then the discrimination is very good. 'Millions of colours' are needed in colour displays to prevent the eye from seeing contours in areas of subtle colour grading. That would suggest that the eye could, perhaps, discriminate 0.1% change in wavelength (very roughly).
But our discrimination in 'colour perception' varies quite a lot over the total gamut of our colour field. The most sensitive being in the region of 'skin tones'. We are not so sensitive to changes along the line of the spectral colours - because we evolved in an environment where there are very few actual (pure) spectral colours around.
It's worth looking at this link for an overview of our colour vision.

1. What is the smallest difference in wavelength that the human eye can detect?

The smallest difference in wavelength that the human eye can detect varies depending on factors such as lighting conditions and individual variation. However, on average, the human eye can detect differences in wavelength as small as 1 nanometer.

2. How does the human eye detect differences in wavelength?

The human eye has specialized cells called cones that are responsible for color vision. Each type of cone is sensitive to different wavelengths of light, allowing the eye to detect a range of colors. When there is a difference in wavelength, the cones are activated, sending signals to the brain that allow us to perceive the difference.

3. Can the human eye detect differences in wavelength beyond the visible spectrum?

No, the human eye can only detect differences in wavelength within the visible spectrum, which ranges from approximately 400 to 700 nanometers. Wavelengths outside of this range, such as ultraviolet or infrared, cannot be perceived by the human eye.

4. Can the smallest difference in wavelength that the human eye can detect be improved?

Since the ability to detect differences in wavelength varies among individuals, it is difficult to improve this ability. However, certain factors such as good lighting and color contrast can help improve the perception of small differences in wavelength.

5. Are there any animals that can detect smaller differences in wavelength than humans?

Yes, some animals such as bees and birds have a greater range of color vision and can detect smaller differences in wavelength than humans. This is due to having a larger number of cones and a wider range of sensitivity to different wavelengths of light.