What Is the Luminosity Distance Relationship?

• Thread starter bigman8424
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxy
In summary, a Cepheid variable in a nearby galaxy looks 10^6 times fainter than an identical Cepheid in the Milky Way, which is 1000 parsecs away. This means that the nearby galaxy is approximately 10^9 parsecs away.
bigman8424
A Cepheid variable in a nearby galaxy looks 10^6 times fainter than an identical Cepheid in the Milky Way. The Cepheid in the Milky Way is 1000 parsecs away. How far away is the nearby galaxy?

I know this formula
v = hd
but how does that help me?
i'm lost...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
bigman8424 said:
A Cepheid variable in a nearby galaxy looks 10^6 times fainter than an identical Cepheid in the Milky Way. The Cepheid in the Milky Way is 1000 parsecs away. How far away is the nearby galaxy?

I know this formula
v = hd
but how does that help me?

It doesn't. Did you learn a formula for the dependence of brightness (flux) on distance?

bigman8424 said:

i'm lost...
Here is a nice page that might be useful.

http://staff.imsa.edu/science/astro/astrometry/rung4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Here is a nice page that might be useful.

http://staff.imsa.edu/science/astro/astrometry/rung4.html

Ack! You'll confuse the poor OP. This problem can be done simply from knowing the scaling of brightness with distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceTiger said:
Ack! You'll confuse the poor OP. This problem can be done simply from knowing the scaling of brightness with distance.
You're right, of course, but sometimes handing out the simplistic solution is not the best solution, like the old Chinese proverb:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will spend his weekends drinking beer and his weekdays lying about the one that got away.

This is really a very simple exercise. You need only know the luminosity distance relationship... or you could do it the way SpaceTiger suggested... :biggrin: [which is the same thing].

Last edited:

1. How far away is the nearest galaxy to our own?

The nearest galaxy to our own Milky Way is the Andromeda galaxy, which is located approximately 2.5 million light years away.

2. How do scientists measure the distance to nearby galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance to nearby galaxies, such as using the parallax method, standard candles, and redshift measurements.

3. Are there any galaxies even closer to us than Andromeda?

Yes, there are a few dwarf galaxies that are even closer to our Milky Way than Andromeda, such as the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy and the Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy.

4. How many galaxies are considered "nearby" to our own?

There is no specific number of galaxies that are considered nearby, as it is a relative term. However, in general, nearby galaxies are those that are within a few million light years of our own Milky Way.

5. Can we see nearby galaxies with the naked eye?

No, most nearby galaxies are not visible to the naked eye. Even the nearest galaxy, Andromeda, is only visible as a faint smudge in the night sky, and can only be seen from locations with low light pollution.