Hermitian of product of two matrices

In summary, the conversation revolves around decomposing the expression AH * A in terms of rectangular random matrices B and C, and their Hadamard product and conjugate transpose. While the proposed identity is false, there may be a way to express the remaining "stuff" in a neat manner using only the given operations. However, further research is needed to determine if such an identity exists.
nikozm
Hi,

i was wondering how the following expression can be decomposed:

Let A=B°C, where B, C are rectangular random matrices and (°) denotes Hadamard product sign. Also, let (.) (.)H denote Hermitian transposition.

Then, AH *A how can be decomposed in terms of B and C ??

For example, AH *A = BH*B ° CH*C, or something like that ??

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

The identity you propose is false.

[tex]\left(A^H A\right)_{ij}= \sum_k (A^H)_{ik} A_{kj} = \sum_k A^*_{ki} A_{kj}[/tex]
[tex]= \sum_k B^*_{ki}C^*_{ki} B_{kj}C_{kj} \neq \left[\left(B^H B \right) \circ \left(C^H C \right)\right]_{ij} = \left( \sum_k B^*_{ki}B_{kj} \right) \left(\sum_\ell C^*_{\ell i}C_{\ell j} \right) [/tex]

From this I believe [itex]\left(B \circ C \right)^H \left(B \circ C \right) = \left(B^H B \right) \circ \left(C^H C \right) + \text{stuff}[/itex]

However I'm not sure if there is a neat way of expressing "stuff". I wasn't able to find any identities using only the matrix product, Hadamard product, and the conjugate transpose. But, maybe there is one.

1. What is the definition of the Hermitian of a product of two matrices?

The Hermitian of a product of two matrices is the conjugate transpose of the product. It is obtained by taking the transpose of the product and then taking the complex conjugate of each entry.

2. How is the Hermitian of a product of two matrices calculated?

The Hermitian of a product of two matrices is calculated by taking the transpose of the product and then taking the complex conjugate of each entry. This can be represented as (AB)* = B*A*, where A and B are the two matrices.

3. What are the properties of the Hermitian of a product of two matrices?

The Hermitian of a product of two matrices has the following properties:

• It is equal to the product of the individual Hermitians of the matrices in reverse order, i.e. (AB)* = B*A*
  • It is a Hermitian matrix, i.e. it is equal to its own conjugate transpose.
  • It is not commutative, i.e. (AB)* ≠ (BA)*.

4. What is the significance of the Hermitian of a product of two matrices in linear algebra?

The Hermitian of a product of two matrices is significant in linear algebra as it allows us to easily calculate the Hermitian of a complex-valued matrix product. It also has applications in quantum mechanics and signal processing, where complex-valued matrices are commonly used.

5. Can the Hermitian of a product of two matrices be calculated using the distributive property?

No, the distributive property cannot be used to calculate the Hermitian of a product of two matrices. This is because the distributive property only holds for addition and multiplication, not for the transpose and conjugate operations involved in calculating the Hermitian.