Counting the distinct values of a modular mapping

In summary, The conversation discusses the number of different values a pair of expressions can take as (i,j) spans \mathbb{Z}^2 with given integers a, b, c, d, n_1, and n_2. It is mentioned that the answer for a single expression \left(a\cdot i + b\cdot j\right) \bmod n is \frac{n}{\gcd(\gcd(a,b),n)}. The speaker suspects that the answer for the pair of expressions may be similar, but is trying to establish an isomorphism between \left(\mathbb{Z}_{n_1},\mathbb{Z}_{n_2}\right) and \mathbb{Z}_{
ing
Hello,
first of all, sorry if my question is either trivial or imprecise, I'm from the engineering domain :)

I need to know how many different values the following pair can take:

[itex]\left(a\cdot i + b\cdot j\right) \bmod n_1[/itex]
[itex]\left(c\cdot i + d\cdot j\right) \bmod n_2[/itex]

as [itex](i,j)[/itex] spans [itex]\mathbb{Z}^2[/itex], with given integers [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex], [itex]d[/itex], [itex]n_1[/itex], [itex]n_2[/itex].

I know that, in case I had a single expression, i.e.

[itex]\left(a\cdot i + b\cdot j\right) \bmod n[/itex]

the answer would be [itex]\frac{n}{\gcd(\gcd(a,b),n)}[/itex].

I suspect that the answer to my question looks similar.
In particular, I was trying to establish an isomorphism between [itex]\left(\mathbb{Z}_{n_1},\mathbb{Z}_{n_2}\right)[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{n_1\cdot n_2}[/itex], obtaining something looking like

[itex]\left(u\cdot i + v\cdot j\right) \bmod \left( n_1\cdot n_2\right)[/itex]

so as to exploit the same result, but so far I didn't come out with anything useful.

Any clues?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ing said:
In particular, I was trying to establish an isomorphism between [itex]\left(\mathbb{Z}_{n_1},\mathbb{Z}_{n_2}\right)[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{n_1\cdot n_2}[/itex]
But that's not true in general. For example [itex]\left(\mathbb{Z}_2,\mathbb{Z}_2\right)[/itex] is not isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex]. In the former, all nonzero elements have order 2, while the latter has a generator of order 2.

(Unless I misunderstand your notation.)

1. What is a modular mapping and how does it relate to counting distinct values?

A modular mapping is a mathematical function that maps elements from one set onto elements of another set, where both sets have a defined modulus. This modulus acts as a "wrapping" point for the elements, allowing them to loop back to the beginning of the set after a certain number of steps. Counting the distinct values of a modular mapping involves determining the unique number of elements in the output set, taking into account the modulus and any repetition or overlap that may occur.

2. Why is it important to count the distinct values of a modular mapping?

Counting the distinct values of a modular mapping is important because it allows us to better understand and analyze the behavior of the mapping. It can also help us identify patterns and relationships between the elements of the input and output sets, which can be useful in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and data analysis.

3. How do you approach counting the distinct values of a modular mapping?

The first step in counting the distinct values of a modular mapping is to determine the size of the input and output sets. From there, you can use various mathematical techniques such as modular arithmetic, set theory, and combinatorics to analyze the elements and their relationships. It is also helpful to create visual representations, such as tables or graphs, to better understand the mapping and its distinct values.

4. Can counting the distinct values of a modular mapping be applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, counting the distinct values of a modular mapping has many real-world applications. For example, in computer science, it can be used to analyze the behavior of hash functions, which are commonly used in data encryption and authentication. In data analysis, it can help identify patterns and relationships in large datasets. It can also be used in cryptography to create secure encryption algorithms.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations when counting the distinct values of a modular mapping?

One of the main challenges when counting the distinct values of a modular mapping is determining the correct modulus. If the modulus is not chosen carefully, it can lead to incorrect or misleading results. Additionally, the size of the input and output sets can also impact the accuracy of the counting process. It is important to carefully consider the size and complexity of the mapping before attempting to count its distinct values.