How to construct a vector perpendicular to a bunch of known vectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to construct a vector perpendicular to several given vectors, with a maximum rank of n. The Gram-Schmidt process is suggested, but the fundamental theorem of linear algebra can also be used to find the orthogonal complement of the span of the given vectors. This can be done by constructing a matrix using the given vectors, row-reducing it, and finding the nullspace, which will give a basis for the orthogonal complement.
jollage
Hi,

Given several vectors, which may be or not be orthogonal to each other, how to construct a vector perpendicular to them? In a sense of inner production being zero.

To be specific, I have [itex]n[/itex] vectors [itex]v_{N}[/itex] of length [itex]N[/itex], where [itex]n<N[/itex]. So the maximum rank for these vectors is [itex]n[/itex], which leaves space for new vectors perpendicular to all of them. How to construct such a vector? I know Gram-Schmidt process, but it seems it's not what I want.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why isn't the Gram-Schmidt process what you want?

Thanks. I see. I should use Gram-Schmidt process.

You can, but you can also write a matrix M using your vectors, row-reduce, calculate the nullspace of M and then use the fact , by the fundamental theorem of algebrar ,that the nullspace of the matrix is the ortho complement of the row space, and then you can find a basis for the nullspace. Just an alternative.

Last edited:

1. What is a vector and what does it mean for a vector to be perpendicular?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. A vector is said to be perpendicular to another vector if they form a 90 degree angle with each other.

2. How do you determine the direction of a perpendicular vector?

The direction of a perpendicular vector can be determined by taking the cross product of the two given vectors. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the given vectors.

3. Can a vector be perpendicular to more than two vectors?

Yes, a vector can be perpendicular to more than two vectors. In fact, a vector can be perpendicular to an infinite number of vectors as long as they do not lie in the same plane.

4. How do you construct a perpendicular vector in three-dimensional space?

To construct a perpendicular vector in three-dimensional space, you can use the cross product formula: c = a x b, where a and b are the two given vectors and c is the resulting perpendicular vector.

5. What is the importance of having perpendicular vectors in mathematics and science?

Perpendicular vectors are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to describe and understand relationships between different quantities and directions. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.