Can someone show me what a 4 to 16 line decoder looks like?

In summary, a group of students from different universities discuss the use of 4 to 16 line decoders and the confusion surrounding their design. They share resources and express their struggles with understanding digital design, particularly K-Maps. One student suggests creating a tutorial on K-Maps, and another student agrees that it would be helpful to explain not only how but also why they work.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could send me a website or a picture that shows what a 4 to 16 line decoder looks like, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a 2-to-4 http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/decoder_demux_four.html" , but what you'd have for 4 to 16 is basically add two more select lines and more outputs. Do you understand generally how they work? I just had exam over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, yes i understand how they work but I'm confused on how u extend the theory to a 4 to 16 line, they want us to use two 3 to 8 line decoders and 16 2 input AND gates, this is what i came up with...
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5981/lastscan8mq.jpg look right? If it doesn't load the first time, hit the refresh button. THe site seems to be laggy

here's how we did it...

Attachments

• decoder.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 749
Last edited:
ahh i c, thanks a lot EvLer, makes sense to me!

actually AND gates in addition to 2 3-to-8 don't make sense to me... if anything, i would expect ORs.

Well in a decoder ur not finding the min terms...if u wanted the min terms then i can see why you would want ORs insteed of AND gates, but check this out, page 3 or 4: http://eshop.engineering.uiowa.edu/NI/pdfs/00/51/DS005122.pdf

But that is not in addition to the decoder logic, i.e. the AND(NAND) are used in the logic of the decoder, that i know, but from the description it sounded like they wanted to use 16 gates in addition to a decoder.
perhaps i am missing something...

hah i have no idea either, god i wish there was a site that explained digital design, like this is the only course i can't find on the internet that has like tutorials and explanations, have you found any?

mr_coffee said:
have you found any?
hmmm... no not really, that play-hookey site that i cited before has some stuff, but it's not that much in depth. So, i just come across random sites :frown: , read my book (Wakerly):yuck: and bother my TA's :tongue2: during open lab hours.
edit: but we seem to have similar curriculum as you, guys... where do you go?

Last edited:
We have no TA's hah, so I'm **** out of luck. and my book blows, its Kime, which sucks bad, he makes everything so complicated. I got to Penn State for Computer Engineering, u?

woooow...that does suck...
as far as the book, they have been using Wakerly (3rd ed.) Digital design: Principles and Practices, it's ok... i hardly ever read it though... but we have good lecture notes... and TA's... well we have several... each leads at least one lab and office hours, and the Prof teaching/overseeing it is great. I'm a CompE at Purdue.

Cool, once i go to main campus next year (right now I'm at a branch, a very small branch) the TA's will be very abundant but for the time being i have to deal with the lack of assistance, oh well.

mr_coffee said:
hah i have no idea either, god i wish there was a site that explained digital design, like this is the only course i can't find on the internet that has like tutorials and explanations, have you found any?

Actually, I have thought about putting a tutorial on K-Mapping on this forum, but I'm not sure that anyone would be interested. They are a lot more powerful than most people think. Also there is a lot of simple logic behind them.

KM

Kenneth Mann said:
Actually, I have thought about putting a tutorial on K-Mapping on this forum, but I'm not sure that anyone would be interested. They are a lot more powerful than most people think. Also there is a lot of simple logic behind them.
KM
K-maps aren't bad when you get enough practice with them.
What would be esp. helpful is to show not only "how" but "why" it works. For instance, in my book Gray code is described in a chapter (which we did not cover) totally away from where the K-maps are. So, when it came to numbering of cells, i could not figure out the system ... until i happened to flip through the book out of boredom...and saw the Gray code and all that explanation.
But yeah... a thorough description would be a good idea. And also "where"/"when" they are useful besides when they explicitly say on the test.

EvLer said:
K-maps aren't bad when you get enough practice with them.
What would be esp. helpful is to show not only "how" but "why" it works. For instance, in my book Gray code is described in a chapter (which we did not cover) totally away from where the K-maps are. So, when it came to numbering of cells, i could not figure out the system ... until i happened to flip through the book out of boredom...and saw the Gray code and all that explanation.
But yeah... a thorough description would be a good idea. And also "where"/"when" they are useful besides when they explicitly say on the test.

Understood! I intend to try if I can, but first, I have to learn a little about how tutorials on this forum are handled, and on that I need some introduction. As example, I see tutorial sections on physics and math, but none on engineering and other subjects. Where would they be handled, and how? Any guidance here would be helpful. (BTW What ever happened to 'spell-check' on this forum?)

KM

If anyone is interested, I have started a K-Map tutorial thread.

KM

1. What is a 4 to 16 line decoder?

A 4 to 16 line decoder is a digital logic circuit that takes a 4-bit input and produces a 16-bit output. It is used to decode binary inputs into a specific output based on the input combination.

2. How does a 4 to 16 line decoder work?

A 4 to 16 line decoder works by using AND gates to compare the input bits to a specific combination and produce a high output for that combination. The output of each AND gate is then connected to an OR gate, which combines all the outputs to produce the final 16-bit output.

3. What are the inputs and outputs of a 4 to 16 line decoder?

The inputs of a 4 to 16 line decoder are 4 binary bits, labeled A, B, C, and D. The outputs are 16 binary bits, labeled Y0 to Y15.

4. What are the applications of a 4 to 16 line decoder?

A 4 to 16 line decoder is commonly used in digital systems for memory addressing, data routing, and input/output selection. It is also used in microprocessors and other digital devices for decoding instructions and controlling various functions.

5. Can someone provide a visual representation of a 4 to 16 line decoder?

Yes, a visual representation of a 4 to 16 line decoder can be found online or in textbooks. It typically consists of a rectangular shape with inputs labeled A, B, C, and D on one side and outputs labeled Y0 to Y15 on the other side. The internal circuitry is represented by a series of AND and OR gates connecting the inputs to the outputs.