Calculating Frictional Energy Transformation in Satellite Reentry

In summary: Earth. In reality, the acceleration due to gravity will be different on different parts of Earth, which would change Ep. The Attempt at a Solution:okay so 575kg, 550000 m above Earth's surface, falls at 2100 m/s5.97 x 10^24 kg is Earth's mass (Me)6378100 for Earth radius (Re)Ms is mass of sateliteG is constantso for Ek = 1/2mv^2= 0.5*575*2100^2= 1267875 kJE = - G Me Ms / Re + d
brunie
Can't really figure out where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

A 575 kg satellite is in a circular orbit at an altitude of 550 km above the Earth's surface. Because of air friction, the satellite eventually falls to the Earth's surface, where it hits the ground with a speed of 2.10 km/s. How much energy was transformed to internal energy by means of friction?

Homework Equations

E = -1/2 G Ms Me / r
v = 2 pi r / T
E = - G Me Ms / Re + d

M = mass
R = radius

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so 575kg, 550000 m above Earth's surface, falls at 2100 m/s

5.97 x 10^24 kg is Earth's mass (Me)
6378100 for Earth radius (Re)
Ms is mass of satelite
G is constant

so for Ek = 1/2mv^2
= 0.5*575*2100^2
= 1267875 kJ

E = - G Me Ms / Re + d
= (6.67 x 10^-11)(5.97 x 10^24)(575) / (6378100 + 550000)
= -3.305 x 10^10

so do I substract E in orbit by Ek at crash (E - Ek)??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well we know energy in these situations is conserved, except that lost to drag and heating of the satellite.

So the initial energy in orbit equals the final energy at impact plus that lost due to drag. So see if you can set up some equations for the situation based on that. Since it was in orbit, there may be way to simplify the kinetic energy of the satellite.

ok, yeah i agree, but I am not sure if I am using the right equations :uhh:

well at least take a stab, post what is the total energy in orbit, then what you compute for the potential energy plus kinetic at impact. From there we can help.

denverdoc said:
well at least take a stab, post what is the total energy in orbit, then what you compute for the potential energy plus kinetic at impact. From there we can help.

i did take a stab and i did calculate it

All right let's see if some pointers help

brunie said:
Can't really figure out where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

A 575 kg satellite is in a circular orbit at an altitude of 550 km above the Earth's surface. Because of air friction, the satellite eventually falls to the Earth's surface, where it hits the ground with a speed of 2.10 km/s. How much energy was transformed to internal energy by means of friction?

Homework Equations

E = -1/2 G Ms Me / r
This will give you the total energy of the satellite in orbit as measured with respect to the center of the Earth. (providing that r is measured from the center of the Earth.)
v = 2 pi r / T
This will give you the orbital velocity of the satellite. (not really needed to solve the problem)
E = - G Me Ms / Re + d
This give you the potential energy of the Satellite while in orbit as measured with respect to the center of the Eartrh
M = mass
R = radius

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so 575kg, 550000 m above Earth's surface, falls at 2100 m/s

5.97 x 10^24 kg is Earth's mass (Me)
6378100 for Earth radius (Re)
Ms is mass of satelite
G is constant

so for Ek = 1/2mv^2
= 0.5*575*2100^2
= 1267875 kJ
okay for the kinetic energy when the Satellite strikes the Earth
E = - G Me Ms / Re + d
= (6.67 x 10^-11)(5.97 x 10^24)(575) / (6378100 + 550000)
= -3.305 x 10^10
Again, this is just the Potential energy part of the total energy of the satellite in orbit.
so do I substract E in orbit by Ek at crash (E - Ek)??

What you want to do is find the difference between the Total energy of the Satellite in orbit (the combination of both its kinetic and potential energies), and its total energy when it strikes the Earth (again the combination of both its kinetic and potential energies).

You've got the formula for finding the total energy in orbit and you've found the kinetic energy at impact. You just need to find the potential energy at impact to complete the picture.

Last edited:
wow thank you,

so if I am understanding correctly

E = -1/2 G Ms Me / r (total energy in orbit)
Ek = 1/2mv^2 (kinetic on ground)
Ep = mgh (potential on ground)

and therefore E = Ek + Ep + Elost

Elost = - 0.5(6.67x10^-11)(575)(5.97x10^24) / (6378100 + 550000) - 0.5(575)(2100)^2 - (575)(9.8)(6378100)

= -5.37 x 10^10

Im pretty sure that's not right so i probably screwed up sumwhere in my understanding.

brunie said:
wow thank you,

Ep = mgh (potential on ground)
The problem with this equation, in this situation, is that it assumes that acceleration due to gravity(g) doesn't change with height. This is fine when you are trying to find the potential energy difference between an object sitting on the ground and one 100m above the ground, because g doesn't measurably change btween these two point. This is not the case when it comes to the center of the Earth and its surface.
Instead, go back and look at the equation that gives the potential energy for the Satellite in orbit. Can you see a way of modifying it so that it gives the potential energy at the surface?

What is a satellite orbit?

A satellite orbit is the path that a satellite follows around a celestial body, such as a planet or moon. It is the result of the satellite's velocity and the gravitational pull of the celestial body.

How do satellites maintain their orbits?

Satellites maintain their orbits by achieving a balance between their forward motion and the gravitational pull of the celestial body they are orbiting. This balance is known as orbital velocity and it ensures that the satellite stays in a stable orbit.

What factors affect a satellite's orbit?

There are several factors that can affect a satellite's orbit, including the mass and density of the celestial body it is orbiting, the distance from the celestial body, and any external forces such as atmospheric drag or other gravitational pulls.

How is energy related to satellite orbits?

The energy of a satellite is directly related to its orbit. The higher the orbit, the more potential energy the satellite has. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the satellite moves closer to the celestial body it is orbiting.

What is orbital decay and why does it occur?

Orbital decay is the gradual decrease in the altitude of a satellite's orbit over time. This occurs due to atmospheric drag and other external forces, which cause a decrease in the satellite's speed and therefore its orbital energy. Eventually, the satellite may re-enter the Earth's atmosphere and burn up, or it may be pulled down to the surface by gravity.