Prove Inequality: |x-x_0|, |y-y_0| & xy-x_0y_0<\epsilon

In summary, if x-x_0<\textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac{\epsilon}{2|y_0|+1},1 \bigg ) and |y-y_0|<\frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1} then xy-x_0y_0<\epsilon.
objectivesea

Homework Statement

Prove that if [tex] |x-x_0| < \textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac{\epsilon}{2|y_0|+1},1 \bigg )[/tex] and [tex]|y-y_0| < \frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex] then [tex]xy-x_0y_0<\epsilon[/tex]

Homework Equations

We can use basic algebra and the following axioms:
For any number [tex]a[/tex], one and only one of the following holds:
(i) [tex]a=0[/tex]
(ii) [tex]a[/tex] is in the collection [tex]P[/tex]
(iii) [tex]-a[/tex] is in the collection [tex]P[/tex]
Note: A number [tex]n[/tex] is the collection [tex]P[/tex] if and only if [tex]n>0[/tex]

If [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are in [tex]P[/tex], then [tex]a+b[/tex] is in [tex]P[/tex].

If [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are in [tex]P[/tex], then [tex] a \cdot b [/tex] is in P.

We may also use the following consequences of the above axioms:

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex]and [tex]b[/tex], one and only one of the following holds:
(i) [tex]a=b[/tex]
(ii) [tex]a < b[/tex]
(iii)[tex] a > b[/tex]

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex], [tex]b[/tex], and [tex]c[/tex], if [tex]a<b[/tex] and [tex]b<c[/tex], then [tex]a<c[/tex].

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex], [tex]b[/tex], and [tex]c[/tex], if [tex]a<b[/tex], then [tex]a+c<b+c[/tex].

For any numbers [tex]a[/tex], [tex]b[/tex], and [tex]c[/tex], if [tex]a<b[/tex] and [tex]0<c[/tex], then [tex]ac<bc[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's not
[tex]
|y-y_0| < \textrm{min} \bigg (\frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )
[/tex]?

praharmitra said:
Are you sure it's not
[tex]
|y-y_0| < \textrm{min} \bigg (\frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )
[/tex]?

I just double checked. I'm sure.

objectivesea said:
I just double checked. I'm sure.

But if [tex]|y-y_0|<\textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )[/tex]
then [tex]|y-y_0|< \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex]
Since if [tex]\textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )=\frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex] then [tex]|y-y_0|<\frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}\leq 1[/tex].
And if [tex]\textrm{min} \bigg ( \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1},1 \bigg )=1[/tex] then [tex]|y-y_0|<1 \leq \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}\[/tex]

either way [tex]|y-y_0|< \frac {\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1}[/tex]

No, I actually want the fact that [tex]|y-y_0|<1[/tex] in addition to all your above expressions. Now I am wondering, given your first inequality, is it possible to prove that

[tex]\frac{\epsilon}{2|x_0|+1} <1[/tex]. Do you think you can try to prove that?

If you can do that, then afterwards use the following:

1. [itex] min(a,b) \leq a,~min(a,b)\leq b[/itex]

2. [itex]|x-x_0| \geq |x|-|x_0| [/itex]

and proceed from there. But first try the first thing. Something I am not able to do.

1. What does the notation |x-x_0| mean in the inequality?

The notation |x-x_0| represents the absolute value of the difference between x and x_0. It is the distance between these two values on a number line and is always a positive value.

2. How is the inequality used to prove a statement?

The inequality |x-x_0|, |y-y_0| & xy-x_0y_0<\epsilon is used in a proof to show that the difference between the values of x and x_0 and the difference between the values of y and y_0 are both less than epsilon (ε). This means that as long as the product of xy and x_0y_0 is less than epsilon, the statement is proven.

3. Can this inequality be used to prove any type of statement?

Yes, this inequality can be used to prove any statement that involves the variables x and y, as long as the product of xy and x_0y_0 is less than epsilon. It is commonly used in calculus and analysis proofs.

4. How do you choose the value of epsilon (ε) in this inequality?

The value of epsilon can be chosen based on the desired level of precision for the statement being proven. A smaller value of epsilon will result in a stricter proof, while a larger value will allow for a wider range of possible solutions.

5. Can this inequality be used in other areas of science?

Yes, this inequality can be applied in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the concept of precision and error margins is important. It can also be used in practical applications, such as in measuring equipment and error analysis.